Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I inadvertently brought home what I believe to be a Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) tadpole from a daphnia collecting expedition. I have never raised a tadpole before but am thinking of keeping it in a ~25g outdoor container in about 4 inches of water with some floating plants and feeding it algae wafers from my Otocinclus fish. Will that work? Do they need aeration? What else should I do?
I was going to return it but the pond is nearly dry (very few daphnia left) and I just didn't want to consign it to a crappy death. Thanks for any help you all can offer!
Heather

Enjoy the useless pictures - my camera is rubbish for anything smaller than a kitten...

Attachments

• 100_1702.jpg
    100_1702.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,623
  • 100_1703.jpg
    100_1703.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,593

asfouts

Reaction score
based on my observations my tadpoles don't seem to enjoy the airline tubing at all. I use rain water or purified water to aerate the water. I think that tadpoles are relatively hardy when it comes to aeration, because I found the egg clutch in a disgustingly semi-anarobic pond. Since you only have one tadpole you don't really need to worry about feeding constantly... having 40 Rana aurora tadpoles I constantly have to toss food in there, plus I have a cat tail (Typha latifolia) that they chew on quite a bit... (sidenote: I dont recommend cat tail in an aquarium... The one I have grows about 2 inches a day and sucks up a vast amount of my water).... Seeing as I have only had one postzygotic death I think I am doing rather well.

Enjoy raising him/her :D

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! If it makes it I can try to post more pics, but they are pretty much guaranteed to be poor quality.

Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!