Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need to find breeder????

reptilekid714

Reaction score
Im thinking of starting newt breeding im going to get some cheap ones to start off with but i was wondering when i get higher up where can i get rare specimens.

freves

Reaction score
Well if you are getting into newt breeding for the money then do not quit your day job. If you just want to breed these animals for the enjoyment of keeping them and learning about them then more power to you. Definitely keep some of the more commonly available species before ever attempting the "rare" ones. Not only are "rare" newts almost always WC in many instances they are coming in from an already threatened environment. Sources vary, ranging from the major dealers who advertise on KS to private individuals who may be somewhat reclusive and not always willing to share with people whom they are not familiar with. Another point to keep in mind is that what is common today may be rare tomorrow due to changing availability. Also, if you attempt any native species make sure that you check your state and local regulations first, there are many in place across the US. Before you attempt any species however do your research. The best information in english can be found on this website. There are also a few good books out there as well (refer to the new book review section). Good luck!
Chip

T

tylototriton

I concur with Foster, this is a passion, definitely not a job. That being said, there are lots of breeders of "rare" caudates, once you become established in the community opportunities will present themselves. Remember, captive bred is always better, the only purpose of WC is to create or boost captive breeding populations.

Best of Luck,
Alex

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How about starting with something like P. waltl or axolotls? Let me know how many P. waltl you might want.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1