Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Red sores on chinese fire belly newts

GingerAndNoodle

Reaction score
Hey i bought my two newts exactly one week ago, for the first 5 days they wouldnt leave the water but for the last two days they wont leave the land, one stays on the small turtle dock and the other on top of the plant i tried feeding them on land, in the water and in a container with water so they would see the food but they still wont eat and today i noticed they have these red sores on them, will they be okay? im really worried about them as ive grown so attached and want to give them the best care possible

GingerAndNoodle

Reaction score
My Chinese fire belly newts

seeing as how you seem to be experienced with keeping newts i bought my two newts exactly one week ago, for the first 5 days they wouldnt leave the water but for the last two days they wont leave the land, one stays on the small turtle dock and the other on top of the plant i tried feeding them on land, in the water and in a container with water so they would see the food but they still wont eat and today i noticed they have these red sores on them, will they be okay? im really worried about them as ive grown so attached and want to give them the best care possible, i posted a thread but nobody is replying i was hoping you could help me? i would appreciate any info you could give me.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Chinese fire belly newts

Hi Rachel, I moved your second post here, as we try not to re-activate ancient threads unless necessary. The person you were asking for help has long ago left the site.

Unfortunately these issues are fairly common for newly-imported wild-caught firebellies. See:
Caudata Culture - Frequently Asked Questions

Get the tank temperature as low as possible. This may mean moving it to a cooler area of the house or removing any light or submersible filter that may be producing heat. If it were me, I would move them to a refrigerator and feed them live pinhead crickets, but I realize that these options may not be available to you.

GingerAndNoodle

Reaction score
Help my newts foot is mangled

Hey i bought my two newts exactly one week ago, for the first 5 days they wouldnt leave the water but for the last two days they wont leave the land, one stays on the small turtle dock and the other on top of the plant i tried feeding them on land, in the water and in a container with water so they would see the food but they still wont eat and today i noticed they have these red sores on them, will they be okay? im really worried about them as ive grown so attached and want to give them the best care possible
Also my females foot is mangled, i examined her and noticed something wrong with her foot so i washed my hands really well and held her, she was very fast so i put one hand infront of the other till she calmed down and when she did i had a good lok at her back left foot and its mangled, toes all bent and a big gash in the middle of her foot whats wrong and how do i help her?:(:confused:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Help my newts foot is mangled

Could you add some photo's of your newts so we can see? Also some of their tank set up too.
Do you know what type of newt they are, and where they purchased from a pet shop?
Sorry for all the questions, but the more information we have the better :happy

I have merged your posts together so that all the information stays together.

Last edited:

GingerAndNoodle

Reaction score
23660-my-male-newt
23656-my-female-newt

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those sores are the classic flesh eating infections these imports usually get. It´s very, very bad news...
I´m sorry to say that their chances of survival are very small.
These infections destroy tissues completely, so as the infection advances, entire extremities and even organs will be lost. Depending on the severity of those losses they could be regenerated if the infection subsides.
Neosporin (the type without painkillers) has been used for this types of infections. You should move the newts to a terrestrial container, with moist kitchen paper towels (unbleached is ideal) and a couple of hides. Keep them cool and stress free.
I don´t want to lie, the chances are not good at all, and these infections are heartbreaking to watch as they progress. You should know what you are up against.

In the future, please don´t buy WC newts from pet-shops....this is exactly what happens to a large percentage of them because the conditions they are imported in and kept at the shops are terribly inadequate. Hundreds of newts die every year because of the WC market. Not good for the animals, nor the wild populations, and as you can see, not good for you as a consumer either.

GingerAndNoodle

Reaction score
sorry im replying now but i decided to say, anybody who views this post, if your newts look anything like mine do not buy them or if you did im sorry to say but your newt will die, mine died a week after i had them, they are now in a pretty box buried in my back garden. DO NOT buy newts from pet stores, buy from a local breeder also dont travel long distances with them because they dont travel well, mine sure didnt like it, it cost them their lives, my two babies didnt survive but at least they spent their last week of life in comfort in a big cool tank with lots to hide around and what not.
i was gutted to wake up next morning to find them laying there dead, they were my 17th birthday pressie from my boyfriend, we went to the nearest petshop to buy them.
learn from my mistake, youre only buying this precious little creatures to have for a short period of time, they will more than likely die a few days later.
mine were only juveniles poor things had a short life :( rest in peace ginger and noodle xoxoxoxo
i am leaving the photos up so people can learn from them and this thread. feel free to ask any questions as i dont want this to happen to anybody else!

hovercraft

Reaction score
I can't see the photos, can you re-upload? Thanks

Edit: nevermind I can see them now

I just bought 2 newts, and they seem to have some small white discolouration spots, and I am wondering if its the same thing

hovercraft-albums-newts-picture25629-picture-2.jpg

Here is a picture of 1 of them. I will try to get better pictures, but I dont have a great camera. He is also pretty skinny (the other guy is bigger)

another picture of him here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/hovercraft-albums-newts-picture25630-cimg0658-brett.jpg

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!