Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why does the color change so dramatically?

Lemi

Reaction score
I've had a new baby axolotl for about a month.
My grandparents are selling the house, so I sometimes have to put her in the closet.
I've noticed that if she spends much time just sitting in the dark closet, she gets much lighter. As a temporary setup, she is in the small box I got her in, but the water is always kept really clean. She's always excited for food even when she's full, and is also very excited when she sees me enter the room. She doesn't appear to be sick, and in my four and a half years of keeping axolotls, I've never had one get sick.

Neil C

Reaction score
I believe to some degree that the lighter coloured axolotls can change their colour. They do become very pale when resting and also when kept on a light background. Your axolotl does not sound sick so don't panic.

Regards Neil

Lemi

Reaction score
Thank you.
I would also like to note that this is my first wild type. My others have been leucisistic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!