Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lesser of 2 evils?

Tmorillo14

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm a new axolotl owner. My axolotl, Ziggy, is about 4 months old. I'm having a hard time getting the tank set up in a way that works for Ziggy- Here's the problem...

A few days ago, I noticed that Ziggy was constantly swimming to the surface to gulp air, which indicated to me that the oxygen level was low. To help with oxygenation, I rotated the spray bar filter to be spraying more into the water rather than up against the tank wall. It did just what I wanted.. created a few bubbles, oxygenated the water, and after an hour or so, Ziggy had stopped going to the top to gulp air.

But now, I see he is flicking his gills all the time, which I know is probably a sign of stress from the increase in water flow. The water flow is not strong at all.. none of the plants in the tank are swaying. However, he seems to be incredibly sensitive to it...

So I'm not exactly sure what's the right move is here. If I resolve the flow issue, there won't be enough oxygen. When I fix the oxygen problem, he's bothered by the "flow". Better to be slightly stressed by flow or to not have enough oxygen?

If there's a solution for both problems I'd love to hear it! :)

Other details:
-He's eating earthworms, cut up in very small pieces
-Tank is 20g long
- Temp is between 65-70 F
- Using an external canister filter
- 20 percent water change every few days
- Using a water conditioner

Felixtacat

Reaction score
I would point the spray bar back against the wall and get a small air stone to help with oxygenation. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!