Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating?

astroaxo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my around two-year-old axolotl around the 6th of July this year, but she hasn't eaten since I got her. I've tried sinking pellets, earthworms and bloodworms but she doesn't seem interested. My water parameters are all good, as well as pH and temperature. She doesn't seem to be sluggish or sick. At the start, I thought it was just her settling in, but now I'm worrying a bit more. I have no idea what the breeder fed her, which is why I've tried some different things already.
Any tips other than to try another food?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
What kind of earthworms have you tried? Has she completely rejected food or spat it out?

astroaxo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of earthworms as I dug them from the ground (don't worry, no chemicals) and she hasn't spat them out, but just won't eat them. With both bloodworms and earthworms and I held them in front of her face and she stays still and ignores them. She might still be getting used to me, as every time I put my hand in the tank she'll just stay still. I put the worm in front of her and leave the room for 10mins just to see if she eats them, but I can barely see the bloodworms in the tank so I don't know whether or not she's eaten them. (Before I got an axolotl, I was under the impression that they'll eat their food straight away)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
To keep track of the bloodworms you can use an old food jar on it's side, this way they won't float around and you can see what she has eaten.
QLD could be different from NSW but I'll guess that the ones you're digging up are red wrigglers. The ones in my yard emit a bad taste/smell and leave reside when I handle them. All of my axies hate these worms lol. Blanching them helps, I've heard. People usually have the best luck with nightcrawlers, I order them online. The last time I asked BCF they said they aren't allowed to sell them but that local bait shops might.
She could be still getting used to it, can you contact the breeder and ask what they fed, and the method of feeding they used?

astroaxo

Reaction score
Thank you guys, her physical condition and even behaviour seem fine. Her gills are a little light in colour and a little short but I think that's just how they are. I'll try that trick with the glass jar sometime if I can.

astroaxo

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, but it seems the problem is fixed! Bean finally ate some bloodworms tonight!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1