Hello from Kentucky, USA! I have 2 axolotls whom I love!

Ilove2axles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone in the forum! My name is Victoria. I am new here, and am here because i own one adult, and one juvenile axolotl. I will not say I have been the best owner over the last 2 years, but I am now realizing my ignorance, and am truly doing everything I can to fix their environment, and give them the best life! I have a 2 year old luecistic named Axel (think guns and roses the band), and a wild type named Toothless who I've had for 3 months. I believe the juvenile is about 6 months old total. My husband also has a huge fish tank, but just for fish. I will say when i bought Axel I was very new to keeping any pet, and i felt so bad for the way they were kept at my LFS I decided to buy one. I sadly trusted all the advice from them, vs what I have read about temperature, etc. Then 3 months ago they had axolotls back in stock, and there were 8 juveniles in a 5 gallon tank with no hides, at 74 degrees, and most with missing limbs from the juvenile cannibalism. I had always wanted a wild type also, and was more educated this time around, and finally close to being able to get a chiller. So I bought Toothless hoping to give him a good life. Sadly the size difference between the two was greater than i had estimated, so they are in a devided 20 gallon long tank for now with the adult occupying about 2/3rd of the tank, and the young one about 1/3rd. It is my plan to move up to a 40 long once I can afford it and the baby is bigger. Maybe then they can even share the space peacefully! I will say we have come a long way from when I purchased Axel 2 years ago! I still need help and have areas of needed improvement, but I am giving this everything I have because I truly love these two! Anyways, I look forward to being part of this community! I already have questions, which i will try to figure out how to post in a specific area for my topics. Thanks for welcoming me into the community!

Re: Hello from Kentucky, USA! I have 2 axolotls who I love!

Welcome to Caudata! Good move on separation. Remember these animals are secretive and sluggish predators and are forced to be opportunists which includes casual cannibalism. Most hobbyists recommend a large tank solution as you are working toward with imaginative decor that the sals can "dance" around. The idea is similar to the infamous crocodilian pit they had long ago at The Serpentarium in Miami. It was circular with a divider in the center. The alligator had managed to bite the tip of the American crocodile's tail. After that, the croc always moved counter to the gator's movements on the opposite side of the pit. Not the best solution, but it allowed for peaceful coexistence, though it was somewhat stressful on the croc. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back