Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Common Frog Deaths

neil

Reaction score
I have found a large number of dead common frogs in the past few days in my garden ponds. They all appeared quite bloated, but I suppose this could have arisen post mortem. UK contributors will recall the cold snap over the New Year, but the frogs were all active after the thaw. Has anyone else experienced this, and any ideas as to the cause?

morg

Reaction score
I picked up a leaflet last year from a local library done by a frog conservation group who I believe are called frogwatch, or someting like that.
They had been doing research into unusual frog mortality.
In the report I read, it had instances of whole populations of frogs from certain ponds dying suddenly.
At the time they were still trying to find the cause, and wanted anybody witnessing such events to contact them.
I no longer have the address of the people doing the study, but will post again if I can find it.
MORG

E

edward

Hi All,
There is a ranavirus that has been introduced into the UK frog populations that may be responsible for the mass mortalities. There is some controversy about how the virus was introduced into the population but there is some consensus that the virus originated in American Bullfrogs.
Ed

neil

Reaction score
There are some gruesome looking dead frogs on that site, but mine didn't show the same red lesions, so may be something different. All the deaths occured in a pond I extended last autumn with a new butyl liner, which at the time smelled quite strongly. I have read that Koi suffer from 'New Pond Syndrome' but assumed this was due to water quality rather than chemicals leaching from the liner.
However there have been no further casualties since my original posting, and frog numbers are increasing, many now in amplexus. The odd newt has also started appearing so perhaps all will be well after all.
Thanks to all who responded.

Neil

G

grace

I've always been a Frog lover and was wondering if there are any groups committed to the conversation of our little web footed friends? If you know of any sites linking to this please let me know.
pinkferrets5@aol.com
Thank you!

(Message approved by admin)

E

edward

Hi Grace,
there is the Declining Amphibian task Force (DAPTF)(http://www.open.ac.uk/daptf/index.htm),
If you are into poison arrow frogs then I recommend frognet.org's listserve.
I am sure there are others out there but those come to mind right away.
Ed

S

summer

hello, this may help a little.
i have found out that the west nile and when frogs or toads eat rocks by mistake they can die.

S

summer

sorry the site i had fine about the west nile was fake,sorry
summer

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1