young green frog

amkid247

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Spotted Salamander
it seems im having trouble with frogs this year -_-
i have a young green frog who has been a frog for only about a month now. during this whole time he has not eaten. he is in a very moist terrestrial setup. he doesnt have a water dish due to the fact that he would sit it in nonstop and his skin would start to shed excessively. i have had many problems with the batch of tadpoles he came from. started with ten ended with 2. the other tad just popped out an arm today!
please help me with this little bugger, what can i do to get him to eat? should i try the water dish again? anything help is appreciated.

I have kept green frogs and had them in an aquatic setup with a floating island for land. Mine ate earthworms, crickets, and anything that moved prettymuch.

thats the thing thats the setup he was in but he was spending too much time in the water so i was advised to move him into a more terrestrial setup. he also isnt responding to any of the moving food which is whats confusing me so much. my old greenfrogs used to attack anything!

Have you tried leaving some crickets in there overnight? Green frogs are predominently nocturnal, or at least the ones I have had. If you haven't tried that yet, then at the next feeding time drop the crickets in right before lights out and then count them in the morning to see if it has eaten any. Oh flies and moths seem to get any reluctant frog to eat, you may also want to try those.

I would give it a predominantly aquatic setup. If it spends more time in the water, it is clearly happy their. If they are anything like bullfrogs they are highly aquatic and even newly morphed individuals seldom drown.

ive already had one from the group get so waterlogged that he died.

Thats an interesting condition. Green Frogs are almost primarily aquatic so they shouldn't be getting "waterlogged." I think I know what you're talking about though. Years ago I had frogs that would go sit in their water bowls and their skin would start sloughing off. To this day i'm not really sure what caused that. What kind of water are you using and how often are you changing it?

Alex

im using chlorinated tap water. there's a filter in the tank, but for obvious reasons, not the water bowl :p. i change the tank water once a month and so far the froglette in there is doing great (he's still aquatic, has his tail, and hasn't come to use his lungs yet. the other guy sits in his moist cocofiber setup fine, until i add the water bowl then he sits in it. he still hasnt eaten i have 3 crickets in there.

You may want to treat the water with Amquel+ as chlorine and chloramine (which may be present) can harm your frogs...

Chlorine will evaporate away, but chloramine will not and some tap water (like the one where I live) even tests positive for nitrite!!!

Try water quality first.

WOOPS! i meant dechlorinated! i was having trouble spelling it and my spell check put chlorinated!
GOOD NEWS!!!!
today he was sitting in his water bowl, but he wasn't hiding under the water as usual. i looked around and there was no crickets! so i dropped a cricket in his water bowl and about 30 seconds later i heard a splash. he ate that little sucker! so he's eating now. hopefully he'll keep that up.

my morphing tadpole has surfaced today. his eyes and head are about water but he's looking very tadpolish at the moment still. ill see how he goes with the water situation if i have to move him into a temp terrarium or not. and ill give my frog a few more weeks bulking up and getting healthy before i more him back into the larger aquatic setup.

the whole reason i was worrying about these frogs and their "condition" was that over the summer i had two adult green frogs that had acquired an odd disease. they became sluggish, started to hide in the water all the time, and their skin started to fall off. they died. which was unfortunate because one of them was my favorite frog, an albino green frog that i had caught in the wild soon after he morphed. i never found out what had killed them and these guys started to show the same symptoms but because i had such bad luck with the whole batch of tads in the first place i dont know what it could have been.

thank you all for helping me and giving me your opinions on the situation. i will keep you updated on both of their conditions!

Attachments

• frogs 002.jpg
    frogs 002.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 459
  • frogs 009.jpg
    frogs 009.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 442
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back