Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Had my newts 2 hours and.. AMPLEXUS!!

Vanders

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need some help! I have had my two p. Waltls maybe 2 hours and they are in amplexus!!!!!!!!! They are approximately 6 months old, will I get eggs? When? What in the world do I do?! I was expecting this to happen at some time, but definitely after I had them for more than 2 hours!!!

ChristineB

Reaction score
Remove the eggs and freeze 'em unless you want hundreds of newts? :-D I had the experience of my P. waltl laying eggs right after introduction to a new, larger home. They laid hundreds of eggs for two weeks and it was a slimy mess. I was NOT ready for a thousand larvae. Thankfully I learned I have three females, so I won't be overrun, but they still lay occasional eggs if I do a big water change. If I added a male I can only imagine how excited they'd get!! ;-) Enjoy your newts. I hear they only breed twice a year unless stimulated by water level or temp changes.

SnotOtter

Reaction score
I cant say for sure whether this will result in eggs, but males are very persistant. Mine is always trying to latch to the girls whether theyre interested or not. Oddly enough, everytime I remove them from the tank he locks up with them any way he can. Not sure if its the close quarters or what but he tries.

Attachments

• 20140107_211954.jpg
    20140107_211954.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 655

Swag

Reaction score
I cant say for sure whether this will result in eggs, but males are very persistant. Mine is always trying to latch to the girls whether theyre interested or not. Oddly enough, everytime I remove them from the tank he locks up with them any way he can. Not sure if its the close quarters or what but he tries.

When I see this picture I can't help but hear Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" in my head.

Vanders

Reaction score
So she may not lay eggs? They were locked up for about an hour after I first noticed but they are only sixish months old...

mrsmurda1

Reaction score
I have 6 and I was never told what sex they are. I have had mine since jan and they are always locked up sometimes for hours and I have yet to see any eggs. does that mean something is wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!