Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Green and yellow axolotl baby

Neurus

Reaction score
Its green and yellow, i think if this one survives i may keep this one

6jv1e6h.jpg

krk11

Reaction score
Wow! Green and yellow, what an intresting color variation. Would like to see more pictures as it developes.

Neurus

Reaction score
Wow! Green and yellow, what an intresting color variation. Would like to see more pictures as it developes.

indeed, it is tiny at the moment about 6 - 7 mm, it is being kept separate with one that is very similar but with a white head and white stripe down its belly. These two are also being kept slightly warmer than the rest so that hopefully i can space out my efforts with feeding and worrying etc

i will keep updates going with these ones

Kudos

Reaction score
Thats a cool colour but most of mine changed colour greatly conparred to what they look like in the eggs. Yours may turn into a 'common' colour unfortunately for you

kapo

Reaction score
Yes it may very well be a type of wildtype. Colour variation does change as they grow/mature. All our greeny gold looking larvae were wildtypes (some became very dark wildtypes with the odd few brown spots; some dark brown wildtypes; and some dark with grey colouring on the sides as they became adults). Some of the leucistic larvae had a yellowy tinge to them. It can take several weeks before you know what type they actually are and even when they reach adulthood/sexual maturity their colour changes.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going with wildtype as well. Leucistics and wildtypes look very similar in the egg, and as Kapo said, they definitely change color as they grow.

Neurus

Reaction score
Update on the gree and yellow axolotl baby

I will be getting a photo soon, but if anyone recalls the green and yellow axolotl in the egg? Well it is now about 1 and a half centimeters long and is now silver. Not white, not wildtype, and definitely not melanoid.
It is bright silver with black eyes

kapo

Reaction score
Hi Neurus

It's still early days before you'll know the exact type of axolotl you have. At this young an age it can go either way - wildtype/leucistic (white with dark eyes) or melanoid. You really won't know until it develops more. There are many types of wildtype colourings, if you check out photo gallery. Predominantly in Australia I notice their wildtypes tend to be light coloured (a caramel or mocha brown, even gold looking ones) whereas in NZ we tend to have the darks coloured - browns/blacks and grey looking wildtypes.

Some of the larvae I currently have that were olive/gold coloured prior to hatching - their colouring has also changed, a few retained the olive colouring, some have become very dark and some are still silver (all with dark eyes), so are more likely to be wildtype. Parents are golden albino and dark wildtype.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love to see the new photo. I honestly don't see anything remarkable about the original photo. I hope I'm wrong though.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That is very interesting but I must admit it looks like a leucistic to my eyes.

Nice photo by the way.

Neurus

Reaction score
That is very interesting but I must admit it looks like a leucistic to my eyes.

Nice photo by the way.

I thought Leucistic to start with but it is bright silver with a little gold. The eyes certainly suggest leucistic but i have some larvae that are definitely leucistic which are all white with black eyes, this one is different

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Leucistic to start with but it is bright silver with a little gold. The eyes certainly suggest leucistic but i have some larvae that are definitely leucistic which are all white with black eyes, this one is different

Have you raised leucistic larvae before? For that matter, raised any newly hatched larvae before? There is always variation. It's dangerous to draw any conclusions on variations early on.

Jake

Reaction score
The slight hints of yellow do seem strange for a leucistic. Then again, it could be a very light wild type, some are yellow with brown spots, but leucistics can hatch out very dark (almost black) and in a couple weeks be almost white, so like has been already said, it's too early to get excited.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!