My Axolotl.

Shadow

Reaction score
Country
England
I bought him/her yesterday and really enjoys his/her new home!

SN850363.jpg

Thats the tank at the moment. If he/she decides to get any bigger then a new tank will be sorted.

SN850358.jpg

SN850352.jpg

SN850366.jpg

SN850368.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

Can anyone ID it as a male/female, if they can please? Also what is the best way to feed frozen bloodworms? And should I raise thw water up aswell?

Thanks!

Hi there. Raising the water up is a good idea as it helps to dilute the waste your axolotl produces and gives your axie more swimming space.
The best way to feed frozen bloodworm is anyway you find easiest. I would let it thaw out almost to completely thawed then drop in the chunk and my axolotl would eventually sniff it out. Some people put their worms into a glass jar and lower that into the water. The axolotl can swim in to get the worms and it saves the tank getting messed up from flying bloodworm.
Too early to sex it yet, its still quite young. You might want to think about some more hides too, they do like to be able to hide away, away from bright lights and noise.

I got some more pics! Better one's too.

SN850374.jpg

SN850383.jpg

SN850384.jpg

SN850391.jpg

And my favourite:

SN850386.jpg

Still not able to tell if it's a boy or girl?

Thanks.

Nice looking tank. Good job, mate!

Your axolotl will grow and, which case you're going to need a more accomodating tank. Generally speaking, a 2 foot tank is suitable for a full-size adult axolotl. Also, for future reference when looking for a new tank, try to find one that has a greater length to height ratio. For example, the tank that you have now looks more suited for goldfish, or something to that effect. Axolotls spend the majority of their time at the bottom of the tank, therefore, the more ground space, the better.

On a separate note, what is your filter output? It looks like your axolotl's gills are slightly projecting forwards (referring to the first lot of photos).

Still not able to tell if it's a boy or girl?

I would say that's a girl.

Jay.

I'd say it's too young to tell. Some don't sexually mature until they're 18 months old. Usually by the time they're a year old/6 inches long, you can tell, but not always.

I thank all of you for your help.

Also on the second lot of photos, does my Axolotl look stressed? I can understand on the first lot because that is the day we got him.

Thanks.

Give it a few days for your axolotl to settle in. It takes a while for anyone to settle into a new home and axolotls are no different. I don't think it looks particularly stressed but it probably is a little.
A nice juicy worm should help it to settle in.

Haha yes I shall go get him/her a worm tomorrow!

Also, has my axy been eating gravel when at the shop because he has a dark belly?

I got two new pics of my Axy. I really want to know if it is stressed or not. There not that good but hope they can help.

SN850407.jpg

SN850406.jpg

I don't believe that your axie is stressed, given the last photos you posted. Like Becky said, it was probably due to moving.

You have a very pretty axie there, and I just love your set up!!

The dark belly is because your axolotl is still a baby. Basically the dark stuff is the insides of your axolotl that you can see. This will become paler as your axolotl grows and the skin thickens and your axolotl becomes fatter.

Thank you everybody for your help and the comments!

Whoa Shadow nice tank set-up and beautiful Axie. looking like many years of happiness for you two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back