Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Supreme court decision on sales tax

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How do you think the recent Supreme Court decision on online sales tax collection will affect the online amphibian business?

michael

Reaction score
Companies did not have to pay state sales tax to a state unless they had a building or physical presence in that state. If you purchase something from an out of state vendor that vendor does not have to pay state sales tax on the item. This is one of the many advantages of internet sales.

A state sued for payment of state sales tax from out of state vendors. It went to the supreme court. The state won. States are now setting up plans to collect sales tax on internet and out of state sales. Nobody knows exactly how this will work. It could really complicate bookwork and eliminate some savings.

Currently I pay sales tax for sales to people in my state only. Under the new law it looks like I might be required to pay sales tax to every state I have sales in. The amount of tax would be small but the bookwork might be overwhelming.

michael

Reaction score
Their will probably be a threshold level for state sales tax. If your sales fall under a certain amount you might not have to pay the sales tax. My guess is most salamander breeders don't pay the taxes no matter what level their sales fall at. I try to stay real close to legit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!