Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Foods for juvenile axolotls?

Marino1310

Reaction score
Any good recommendations on food for 2" axolotls? Im currently feeding frozen omega enriched brine shrimp but thats getting expensive. I have about 100 axolotls that ill need to sell but in the meantime food is the biggest cost since each pack is $7 and only lasts a few days. Ive tried small cichlid pellets and they do eat them but I can often see the bulges in their stomachs from them and im worried they may be hurt by them. They also dissolve rather quickly and dirty up the large tank theyre in (I have them in a 40 gal long reptile tank) so by the time they come across their pellets theyve already dissolved. Any tips on feeding them? I try keeping them as full as possible to avoid cannibalism (so far only 1 axolotl has died and that was when they were in their small 20 gallon tank) so I normally feed 5 cubes of brine twice a day and its always all gone within the hour

Kingfisher

Reaction score
You could try getting some Rangen salmon pellets. Or start re-homing your juveniles so you don't have to feed them all.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
When Carol was around 2 inches I fed her live blackworms. I'm not sure if that's more economical for you, but it was a great food source! Bloodworms are worth a shot, though frozen they are less nutritious than blackworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!