I need help FAST for my African Clawed Frog

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
DSC_0455-2.jpg

I looked in the tank and noticed that red spot in his/her hand. I'm scared about what it could be. Any ideas? Also that gross studd is uneaten food which judging by this picture, really needs to be removed soon ._.

Is it internal bleeding? Do I have anything to worry about?

to be honest - - judging by that uneaten food being really wedged down in the gravel, it looks like it has been there for a while - -

looks like a sore from bad water quality.

how big is your tank? filtered? how do you do your water changes?

if you have that much food being left over where it can settle down into gravel, you are over feeding and under cleaning in my opinion.

Young frogs are very sensitive to tank conditions.

Ok. I try to clean once every 2-3 weeks, which I have done. I'll clean it again tonight. And the reason its wedge down that far is because it took him out last night with the net and put him in a tupperware container to photograph him and some of the rocks got knocked over on top of them.

ok, how big is the tank and is it filtered?

You tank should have a 25% water change weekly and treated with a tap water conditioner for fresh water aquariums.

A filter is important to keep the water healthy in between water changes, i suggest looking up the Nitrogen cycle on google

in short, food and waste = ammonia. Ammonia breaks down into nitrite. "Good bacteria" breaks down nitrite into harmless nitrate.

Ammonia and nitrite are ever present in an uncycled tank and are both harmful to the frogs skin - - the frogs skin is its main defense against illness.

Uneaten food (after 15 min) should be immediately removed because as it sits, it will root and foul up the water.

Ok. thanks for the all the info. I use a whisper filter. I'll start doing the 25% water change and removing food. I plan on cleaning the tank tonight as well. We get out water from a well and was told it can be put in straight from the tap.

Tank size would really be helpful - - too small of a tank is unhealthy for your frog, will cause stress which increases the chance of illness and will inhibit proper growth.

Hey! Just thought I'd let you know that her hand has completely healed already :D Thanks a bunch for the help! I'm glad she has gotten better and I really want to thank you :D

To me it looks like a self inflicted bite wound!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back