Moved ADF to Temp Tank - Ready to Mate?

esn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Elena
Hey all,

I noticed that my male frog has been croaking recently, particularly when I moved them to a temp tank. I had heard that this means that they're ready to mate? I have a female in with him, and I've been hoping for spawn. If he's been croaking for the past 3 nights, (and never before that) will they mate soon?

Hey all,

I noticed that my male frog has been croaking recently, particularly when I moved them to a temp tank. I had heard that this means that they're ready to mate? I have a female in with him, and I've been hoping for spawn. If he's been croaking for the past 3 nights, (and never before that) will they mate soon?

Males are ALWAYS ready to mate but females are not. Also, a female should not be bred more than 3-4 times a year because it takes a lot of the females energy to produce eggs.

You will hear a male call nearly every night, this does not mean he should try to mate with a female every night.

You may have heard it more with a temp tank because if it is smaller it means the temperature fluctuates more, making the male think it is getting to be the cooler rainy season which is when they mate.

But again, males call nearly every night. Enjoy :)

Disappointing, but thanks! I've gotten my hands on some floating frogs too, but can't seem to find any information on breeding them. They're mature, and that's all I know. Oh well. I just picked up some young dwarf frogs from a store today, as they're the only ones in within 30 miles that has them now. ADFs have been missing from my state for about 6 months.

Don't worry, if you feed them well, females too become interested in mating in approx. 3 months according to their actual size (my young male started singing and even grabbing other frogs when his female siblings were as large as him or smaller, but females only accepted him after they grew a bit larger than the male).

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know! I'm really excited to have some babies.

Having owned ADF before, my male would sing every night. Then before you know it BOOM I wake up with a tank off spawn. Majority of them hatched, but I couldn't successfully rear them. I'd say you'll be having babies soon! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back