Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl with a... Gill growing out of a gill?

Leidybug

Reaction score
I was checking on my little Kip today, and noticed that one of his gill feathers, well.. Has gill feathers growing out of it! Has anyone else seen this before? I have attached an image, and this can be seen from the top right gill stalk.

Thanks in advance! :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,746

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi Leidybug and welcome to the forum. :happy:

Kip is a very cute little axolotl and he's looking good. It is possible that he has had some slight damage to a gill and it is regenerating. When I got mine the juvenile wild type had half a gill missing and it has grown back branched. :D

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The axolotl in my avatar has a front foot that regrew 'palm upwards'. As a result, the leg twirls like a bizarre looking windmill whenever she chooses to waddle about the tank rather than swim. It doesn't slow her down any though, as she's nearly always the first to get to the food, and she's still a very graceful swimmer. Her foot has been part of her unique charm for the past six or so years.

Your lovely thread has given me the perfect name for one of my newest gang members (she's a big female gold, so damnit I couldn't call her Smaug!). Her name shall be Asymmetrical - Sym for short. Thank you! ;)

Welcome to the forum!

tipnatee

Reaction score
A long time ago I had one of my my very first axolotl name Lucy (she leucistic) . She had only 1 pointy toe on the right foot , I bought her from the pet store that was going out of business, she was already very old when I got her . She look like a foot long happy captain crunch . I thought she'll grow back the foot in a few year but it never did till one day she accidentally jammed that point one toe/foot in to the very small crack of her old cave during water change,she got freak out and ripped half of her own leg off dangling. So to treat the dead hanging half leg I had no choice but to clip it out so it won't get infected or fungus .... Surprisingly enough it starting to grow a baby size whole foot with all the Little complete number of toes!! But the growth was extremely slow, not using to her new toes she tucked her whole leg behind her back while walking as old lady with one hand behind her back she passed away just last year ... I miss her

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
my little one has always had something similar, its always just stayed the same though it doesnt grow or anything?

Attachments

• 20160721_150247.jpg
    20160721_150247.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 504
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1