Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Echinotriton pics

caudataman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a new camera and thought I'd play. Sorry about the quality, but I'm/it's a work in progress. Here are 2 forms of Echinotriton. The first are from Tokunoshima island, the last, from Okinawa. The differences are subtle, but visible.

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,154
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 645

freves

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics Brian. I never realized that the two forms are that visibly different. I have one group of juveniles from the Okinawan line and another group expected that I am uncertain of (these are the descendants of zoo bred animals). I had planned on eventually attempting to interbreed them but perhaps I should rethink that.
Chip

Mark B

Reaction score
Nice animals Brian!

@Chip: I would certainly keep them separate as there are indeed substantial morphological differences between the different islands. I'm not sure how genetic distinct these different populations are but I would not risk hybridizing them...

Donnie

Reaction score
Nice pics of some incredible animals. Am I correct in thinking the differences are the orange markings or is there something else I haven't noticed? Also how are you keeping them?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
In the wild...I'm guessing no gene flow would occur between these two populations?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1