Echinotriton Andersoni

Lasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking for one for some time, I was wondering if there are any members here that keep them?
I've just posted in the 'wanted' forum, further to that would anyone that has them let me know where they got them from?

Anyways, the point of the post was to ask for setup tips incase I do find one. I've read up so I know terrestial with a shallow water dish- do they require anything 'special'?
Setup pics from any keepers would be appreciated(I've already searched these forums).

Tylototriton and Echinotriton are my thing and out of all of them Andersoni is my favourite species of newt....ever! I have five c/b. Getting them required so much patience!!!
I waited years and years and years....not easy to get at all.
I got mine from Germany... gersfeld....and they were bred by a well known Austrian man.
They're not hard to keep, but very shy....oh, and if you find them expect to have to take out a mortgage to buy them!!!

I second Andrew's response. In my experience they are so inactive that a fake salamander almost seems more lively. In any case, their neat, prehistoric appearance more than makes up for this.
Chip

Tylototriton and Echinotriton are my thing and out of all of them Andersoni is my favourite species of newt....ever! I have five c/b. Getting them required so much patience!!!
I waited years and years and years....not easy to get at all.
I got mine from Germany... gersfeld....and they were bred by a well known Austrian man.
They're not hard to keep, but very shy....oh, and if you find them expect to have to take out a mortgage to buy them!!!

Yes, exactly!
Just out of interest what would it cost to part you from one, and do you breed(and if not, why not!)?
I read some time ago of a Danish breeder, but I dont think the community I saw them on exists anymore.
Is there any chance you could put me into contact with this breeder?
I didnt expect it to be cheap, but as if one mortgage isnt bad enough! :wacko:

Theres no way i'd ever part with any of mine i'm afraid. As for why i have not bred them, they're all too young still....fingers crossed though i will breed them one day. If you want to mail me i'll talk to you about who has them but i have to say that alot of these keepers with the really rare species are quite secretive....hard to get to know.
As for price, i'd expect c/b adults/subadults to start at £200 each.

My animals were around 80.00 each and almost all of them were very tiny at the time. They are growing, albeit slowly.
Chip

Figure I would attempt to breathe some life into this thread.

I am just curious as to how many of the U.S. folks were keeping these and if there are any successful hobbyist captive breeding programs going.

As of late, I have become obsessed with various Japanese newts. I blame Tim Johnson's article in the Caudata.org magazine for this...

At the time of writing I believe I can say with certainty that no hobbyist in the US has bred this species. At least one US zoo has bred them though, and I believe several zoos, including Nate Nelson's, have acquired captive bred offspring. Hopefully this species will be a captive breeding success story in the US. I have been lucky enough to see them in person and photograph them, and while they are a very impressive looking species I must echo what has been said about their personality in captivity - not the best.

This species isn't as hard as most people believe them to be. A small water area with 3/4 moss with constant rain and flooding should get them to breed.

NYCherper - it would be great if you could start a new thread and post some photos of the breeding setup you've used. I'm not clear on how one would set up a water area with 3/4 moss. Also wondering how to provide rain in a terrestrial setup! Your input, with some details, would be very much appreciated by many!

This discussion has raised an interesting question for me. I notice this species is listed as endangered. Is there any license or evidence of breeding required for keeping endangered caudates? Also do zookeepers publish their breeding and husbandry information anywhere?

No CITES listing = no US protection (or anywhere as far as I'm aware).

Also do zookeepers publish their breeding and husbandry information anywhere?
Most don't share with hobbyists - they keep it within their circles. This is changing though.

One of our breeders
IMGP0013.jpg

Nice pic. Do you know if your breeders are of Okinawan or Tokunoshima Island origin/descent?
Chip

Lovely animal. I think, from speaking with someone about breeding these, that the breeding setup description above means a slanted tank with a pile of moss at the high end and shallow water at the low end, then with a spray bar to form a rain chamber.

Chris

No CITES listing = no US protection (or anywhere as far as I'm aware).

True, but keep in mind.

Illegal in their native distribution to collect. Collected there and brought to the US without an import permit. (which would not be granted with honest ansers)

Lacey act = Illegal animals, Federal felony.

True, but keep in mind.

Illegal in their native distribution to collect. Collected there and brought to the US without an import permit. (which would not be granted with honest ansers)

Lacey act = Illegal animals, Federal felony.

Could be. I know that c.b. E. andersoni have been imported with Fish and Wildlife permits several times. I don't know all of the technicalities but my guess was they were legal since Fish and Wildlife granted the paperwork.

Yes but you can bet your backside that the parents/original animals were not exported legally. I mean, even very "reputable" people have gone to Iran to look at Neurergus kaiseri for scientific reasons and then brought home a bunch in their suitcases to sell at a later date. The offspring of these have been imported into the US "legally". Way to drop the ball Fish and Wildlife.

Most don't share with hobbyists - they keep it within their circles. This is changing though.
International Zoo Yearbook is one common place for publication of zoo breeding methods, as are symposia proceedings such as those if the IHS or BHS. Russian Journal of Herpetology also publishes a lot on CIS zoo breeding. It's just a matter of looking for PUBLICATIONS rather than depending on the information being posted online somewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back