TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Here is the abstract of an interesting paper on this subject:

Acta Zoologica Sinica, Aug. 2002, 48(4):554 - 557

Title: OVIPOSITION SITES AND THEIR EFFECTS ON THE REPRODUCTIVE SUCCESS IN THE CHINHAI SALAMANDER(ECHINOTRITON CHINHAIENSIS)

Authors: XIE Feng FEI Liang YE ChangYuan WANG ZuWang CAI ChunMo

Abstract: We studied oviposition sites and their effects on the reproductive success of the Chinhai salamander (Echinotriton chinhaiensis) .The results showed that: (1) the female had strong preferences for spawning sites and oviposition microhabitat; (2) the most suitable oviposition sites were 30 cm higher than water level and 45 cm from the water body; (3) oviposition sites usually overlapped;(4) embryos could develop and hatch normally in water as well as on land. The hatching rate on land was high (94.3%), but the number of hatchlings that successfully migrated to water was low (52%�}11%, n=3 in the laboratory, and approximately 20% in nature). Based on the situation in laboratory, the average hatchling survival rate at all oviposition sites was 36.7%. Owing to oviposition on land, the reproductive success of Chinhai salamander was very low;(5) protecting the spawning sites and increasing the hatchling survival rate are the keys to conserving this species.

source: Acta Zoologica Sinica http://www.actazool.org/

There is also this paper:

Reproductive behaviour of the Chinhai Salamander (Echinotriton chinhaiensis) (Caudata: Salamandridae)
Max Sparreboom1,, Feng Xie, Liang Fei

...which can be downloaded in full at:

http://www.caudata.ru/pdf-caudata/3890.pdf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back