Question: New - Any guidance?

snuggly time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Beks
Hi everyone :happy:

I bought my Axolotl, Wooper (original name for an axolotl, right?) on Monday. He's my first Axolotl so everything I do at the moment worries me, in case I'm getting it wrong lol. He isn't very large, only looks maybe a few months old. The tank has is 64 litres, no substrate, we have put some plastic plants in and small rocks.
So, here's a few questions I hope you can help with.

When I bought him from the shop, the assistant said to get his tank to 24°c. Everywhere I've read seems to say keep them between maybe 16°c and 20°c. So the tank is currently at about 19°c. She was feeding him once a day on live blood worm. However, I'm worried I might be overfeeding him now, since he's at a cooler temperature. Also, they are having problems stocking live blood worm, so he's eating frozen at the moment. I noticed the other day he didn't seem as interested in the food, so we had a no food day. How often should I be feeding a young axolotl? And what other food can I offer him?

I was told to clean the tank out once every two weeks with a 25% water change. However, I also think this is wrong? I noticed there's loads of blood worm still at the bottom of the tank. So I've started siphoning the worms out every day now, especially since my filter is not yet established. Should I be doing this every day?

Despite all the worries I'm really enjoying him, he's the cutest little creature ever! He doesn't seem to swim around much, just chills out at the bottom of the tank. I could just sit and watch him for hours, even when he's doing his usual nothing! Hehe :wacko:

Earthworms are a much better staple food than bloodworms. They can be fed daily, as long as they're willing to eat and aren't too fat. Once they get to adult size, 3x a week is adequate.

You should definitely been cleaning out all the uneaten bloodworms every day, and doing much more than 25% every other week water changes. If your tank is on the small side, your ammonia is probably through the roof.

Apart from daily hooverings to clear up left over food I believe a weekly water change replacing about a quarter with fresh treated stuff is recommended. Also be careful about the small rocks, axies will try to eat anything that's the same size as their heads or smaller and can get serious tummy troubles from doing so.
Glad you're enjoying your new pet. I've had mine a year and a half and I never get tired of staring at them. They must think we're total weridos lol :)

Thanks, the rocks are larger than him, so they aren't a problem. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back