The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 22nd January 2013   #1
strider

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: strider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gravel Question?

I know that gravel is off limits but I was wondering if this would be ok?
Image here
Detailed picture here
They sell it in my local pet shop and the gravel probably isn't much bigger than a piece of rice.
I was wondering if that would be alright for an axolotl?
It seems like it'd be ok to me, but I've never owned an axolotl and I still don't own an axolotl so I just wanted to check with someone who actually has experience

strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Gravel Question?

Any gravel that's bigger than grains of sand is too big. This is especially true of pointy gravel, like that.

The point here is that gravel particles can get stuck in the gut and cause impaction, which is deadly. You want either a substrate that is small enough to pass through unhindered, or one too big to ingest (that is, larger than an adult axolotl's head).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #3
strider

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: strider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gravel Question?

I'll admit the only reason I even considered this gravel was because I wanted something colourful for the tank haha... but sand it is then! Thanks for the help.

strider is offline   Reply With Quote