Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cichlid or Beach sand?

dudzie

Reaction score
I used to have cichlid sand, but had to remove it, cause of glass splinters.

i recently read that chichlid sand is no good for axolotls, but it's the only aquatic sand the petshop has.
currently, the tank has no substrate, but they axies seemed to move more with the sand.

So! I can either get cichlid sand, or get sand from a beach.. [boil + rinse before using it]

which one would be better?

Traxolotl

Reaction score
Go to like the local garden store, usually they have sand that will work. I have used beach sand before but i sifted it and washed it like craaaazzy and my axolotl was fine. I wouldn't do it again but if i were you i would look around or order some.

CJ1981

Reaction score
I used to have cichlid sand, but had to remove it, cause of glass splinters.

i recently read that chichlid sand is no good for axolotls, but it's the only aquatic sand the petshop has.
currently, the tank has no substrate, but they axies seemed to move more with the sand.

So! I can either get cichlid sand, or get sand from a beach.. [boil + rinse before using it]

which one would be better?

Go to a DIY shop or garden centre and get 'play sand', it's the sand they sell to put in childrens' sand pits. Give it a good sieving and a very very through rinsing and it is ok for your Axolotls. It is usually a fraction of the price of aquarium sand too ;)

Don't use beach sand it is full of all kinds of nasty stuff and however well you boil and wash it the salt content etc will make your Axolotls unhappy :(

dudzie

Reaction score
Ii have been to two stores that have sand, but it's not playsand..
as they said; "No one here thinks its a big deal if it's play-sand or just regular sand.."
So! i can go and find other stores that possibly have sand, but i have a feeling they will say the same..

what should i do now? :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've used pool filter sand for years with no ill effect.

You can always just keep a bare bottom.

dudzie

Reaction score
I've used pool filter sand for years with no ill effect.

You can always just keep a bare bottom.

aaaaand im somewhat sure i won't find pool filter sand..

the bare bottom is easy keeping clean, but as it's now, i keep plants in a jars in the tank..
there would be so much more space for the axies to swim if they were in the sand..

FX1C

Reaction score
Ii have been to two stores that have sand, but it's not playsand..
as they said; "No one here thinks its a big deal if it's play-sand or just regular sand.."
So! i can go and find other stores that possibly have sand, but i have a feeling they will say the same..

what should i do now? :(

Playsand tends to refer to sand sourced from freshwater rivers not from a beach. Beach sand contains many crushed shells sea life, where river sand is from sandstone erosion. Hope that helps.

as mentioned above -
if in doubt.... leave it out :)
bare bottom tanks are a good option.

<3 >o_o< <3

tigmades

Reaction score
Do you have any pool or hot tub etc stores where you live? Then they're likely have it. In my city you can get 50lbs - which is enough to last for a looooooooong time - for $11. Plus it's very nice color, and mine at least requires VERY LITTLE rinsing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1