Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fish

pavett1990

Reaction score
Hey guys I went to my local pet shop looking for food for the axolotls when the guy at the pet shop showed me a small bag of baby fish.. I'm not 100% sure what fish they are but I will find out for you but the axolotl love them.. I cut the fish up into nice easy swollowable chunks and they swallow whole... I was wondering the fish are around 1-1.5 inch long is 1 enough to keep axolotl happy till next fees day.. They also get a few bloodworm and 1 or 2 pellets?

Thanks
Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Feeder fish really should be quarantined for 30+ days before being used as food. They're notorious for carrying diseases.

kimo

Reaction score
I agree I have found there is too much risk in feeding them things like that. I have gone so far as to build a wormery so I know what my worms eat & I know there healthy to feed to my "aliens" Plus I get free worms for fishing :happy:

mackinthebox

Reaction score
I also grow my own food
Ive been feeding shrimp pellets lately as my shrimp are not breeding quite fast enough but I have a colony of shrimp I use for feed
I currently feed a combo or frozen blood worms, shrimp pellets, and live shrimp

If you want to continue to use feeder fish I would suggest setting up a quarantine tank, keep them there for at least a few weeks before feeding to the lotls
Any fish from any store needs to be placed in quarantine before being introduced to your pets, any fish from any store has the potential to carry any number of diseases or fungus

as for your question I cant say for sure how much food would satisfy your lotl, I feed mine 2 or 3 times a week but if I go a extra day or two without feeding they start nipping at each other
mine arent quite a year old yet so I suspect they are more hungry than older lotls

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Frozen fish isn't the best food for axolotls. While this article for garter snakes, not salamanders, it gives you an idea of why you should be concerned.

FX1C

Reaction score
Given earthworms offer such a complete & week rounded nutrition -
I don't see the necessity in trying to feed something else... Especially food that is frozen & origins / species unknown :eek:
There are worm suppliers online in the uk & they are easily available - there are plenty of members on here from the uk feeding earthworms :) why make more work than you need to?

<3 >o_o< <3

tigmades

Reaction score
Keep in mind, even if the fishies are frozen, they can still carry and pass on diseases to your little pets :)

esn

Reaction score
L
Keep in mind, even if the fishies are frozen, they can still carry and pass on diseases to your little pets :)

Fish frozen at the right temperatures, such as flash frozen or kept under -4F or lower for 7 days, will not carry anything. Just noting that this isn't all inclusive- I feed flash frozen to a garter snake. Usually sashimi grade. If anyone absolutely must or has any desire to, this is the fish that would be best if we're going to be clear on safety. Otherwise, live fish should be quarantined and used instead of frozen. Though since Kaysie mentioned the thiaminese, I should mention that I use thiaminese free tilapia, which come from a certain brand, as some tilapia species do have it.

I just breed white cloud minnows in the same tank as my axolotls, so if you're going to feed fish (and never as the sole food) that would be the way to do it, since no wild axolotl is going to be taking bites of filet in the wild. Whole prey would be the choice. But fish is not a staple, and earthworms should still be fed as the main food.

Since frozen was brought up, I figured I should make the distinction that it could be "safe" under circumstances, but still not recommended.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Along those lines, whole fish is better because at least the calcium from the bones is available, where as fish filets are less nutritious.

pavett1990

Reaction score
No they are flash frozen and are remained frozen until fed.. They are also full fish no more than 1.5" long but I do cut into small bite size chunks.. I also feed with bloodworm and pellets

esn

Reaction score
If they're flash frozen and whole fish, then the only issue is what species they are for finding if they contain thiaminese. Call the pet store and ask, then compare to the list in the article Kaysie posted. Thiaminese is dangerous, don't continue feeding until you know. Dangerous over time, I mean. But why would you continue feeding something that would result in a thiamin deficiency?

pavett1990

Reaction score
Had a look into it and they are lance fish which the supplier said they are fine for axolotl

esn

Reaction score
In the future, know that whether a supplier says they are ok for your pets does not really matter- you need to do other research. They are trying to sell a product.

But in this case, lance fish do not contain thiaminase, and are safe to feed. Still not suitable for a staple by any means, but in moderation they should be all right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1