Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!!!!!

Stef1991

Reaction score
Hey my axolotl hasn't been right now for a long time done everything we should water is right ect. But something isn't right. He's eating ok, but is very swollen and has been for a while now, and I don't think he's going the toilet as we can still see it inside him and have been able to see it there for about a week and a half now. Also is very red by his bum. Pleaseeee help!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 253

CJ1981

Reaction score
Are you able to let us know your water parameters please? Temperature, Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate and ammonia.

What substrate do you have and what are you feeding?

Thanks

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Having looked at your previous post, I would strongly advise that you take your axolotl to a vet for treatment. I do not believe that there is any other option.

Stef1991

Reaction score
Water is usually around 15-17, ph is 7.4, no ammonia, no nitrite and nitrates are never higher then 5. Really worried about him. His was swollen in his upper body about two months ago as he ate something he shouldn't, but all swelling went then within 2 weeks he went like this. He seems ok in himself just not going to the toilet and really swollen around the lower part of his body

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 214

Stef1991

Reaction score
I took him to the vets before and it was because he ate something and once he got it up he was fine but since then after a few weeks another swollen bit appeared, but there is nothing. The tank for him to eat this time. We did feed him bloodworms but he went off them so got axolotl pellets which seem to go down a treat

Stef1991

Reaction score
It was a water purifier ball that was put in the tank 4 weeks before him moved in that was ment to dissolve.....but clearly didn't

CJ1981

Reaction score
I'm with Bellaballoo on this I'm afraid. I've just read through your previous posts. It is possible that the water purifying ball has caused some internal problems, either that or your Axolotl might have an underlying health problem. Either way I think a trip to the vet is in order.

kimo

Reaction score
Its really scary when your axi is ill. Im so sorry to hear yours is having such a nproblem. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the little one. xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1