Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing New (hopefully) Friends

RachaelBlandin

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm floundering my way towards introducing my new axie to my older one and am hoping for some advice.

First off: My first axie (Toby) has been with me for five years and presumably my new one (Ellie) is still a juvenile though they are both about 7inches long. Should I worry about canibalism?

Second: I have kept Ellie in quarantine for a bit over three weeks but due to tank issues I may need to put them together early. Is there any way I can do this, what signs should I look for in Ellie?

Is there anything else I need to consider before I can start off this new friendship between my axies?

Thank you for the help.

snuggly time

Reaction score

FX1C

Reaction score
Oooh ^^ that's what I was going to link to :)

The divider worked really well & I was lucky to have no issues once they were introduced. Squishy is growing the fastest of all my lotls & thankfully he's a gentle giant & shown no signs of aggression to the other lotls he shares with - he's now 1 of 4 in a 4ft tank.

My observations of these guys has me thinking that they love hides with more than one entrance - like logs or even hides like I've out in my big tank I have a lunchbox with 4 entrances / exits & it's the most popular hide in the tank often housing 4 or 5 lotls all with their heads out a different door - that way they can escape easily & don't ever feel cornered. I make sure there are different pathways with plants on driftwood to break up the path so they can avoid any confrontations. With more than one axolotl I'd recommend not using cave style single entry hides for the reason stated above.

Hand feeding or feeding at opposite ends should avoid conflict as well.

Observing their behaviour with the divider & without will help you work out what their natures are & their tolerance levels.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your lotls & their new set up :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!