Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transporting axolotl eggs, help! !

dudzie

Reaction score
I have read several articles on shipping axolotl eggs, but I'll ask for your advice anyways :)

I need advice on how to transport some axolotl eggs for about three days.. they will be in a car all the time from Thursday night to Saturday. so getting crushed (like when shipping) is not a problem..

The car will be cold and turmed of for about 40 hours straight.

Any tips on how to get them transported safely? :)

LSuzuki

Reaction score
The car will be cold and turmed of for about 40 hours straight.

This is what makes giving an answer hard. What is the weather forecast?

Usually, the answer would be, just put them in a plastic bag with some water and air and protect from temperature extremes. But if it is very cold, you are going to have to find some way to keep them from getting too cold without making them too hot.

Perhaps a small cooler with a heat pack?

Is there any reason you can't take the eggs with you while you aren't in the car?

dudzie

Reaction score
Perhaps a small cooler with a heat pack?

Is there any reason you can't take the eggs with you while you aren't in the car?

It's my aunt that is going to transport them, and they will on a ferry for about 40 hours..
she only agreed take them with her if she wouldnt notice that the egg were there..

but! I read something about having the eggs in dvd/cd cases.. that would be quite unnoticeablr (id that even a word?), and she might agree to take the eggs with her.. (but then i fear that they might get tol warm, cause her room is quite small and pretty much always warm.. -.-'
but it just sound so weird keeping therein a dvd case for so long :/

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
While I agree that fluctuations in temperature may be bad, I disagree that they could get too cold.
Last February I discarded some eggs in my water butt, which catches roof water, as a sort of 'experiment', rather that letting all the eggs die. It froze over several times, & eggs were at the surface, & still, about 3 months later I found myself with 20+ viable babies, that had cleared the water butt of shrimps! They are all rearing well now indoors in a cool room.

Heather

dudzie

Reaction score
While I agree that fluctuations in temperature may be bad, I disagree that they could get too cold.

That sounds amazing :D
so if i put the eggs in a container, and put the container in a thermal bag, they should be safe? :)

LSuzuki

Reaction score
It still depends how cold it is going to be in the car. If it is going to be too far below freezing, that might not be enough.

I like AutieJude's suggestion on a thermos bottle - that provides both physical and thermal protection.

I had read elsewhere that eggs are more susceptible to cold than adults, but maybe that isn't the case. Regardless, I would adjust the temperature slowly after the trip. (The thermos would be good for that too.)

Tim the MossMan

Reaction score
will this method of transport also work for newt eggs?
also, will the eggs be affected by movement and can u put the eggs inside a small glass container wrapped with fabric before putting it in the thermos?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!