Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to axolotls and where to buy!!!

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Hello! I just joined the forum today due to interest in axolotls! I have a 20 gallon High and plan on having one unless I can put two in there! I was wondering if anyone has recommended products to use for substrate as well as any other items!

Second, I'm looking to buy axolotls and was wondering what's everyone's favorite type?( I don't know all the types lol!) I am wondering if there are any breeders in Pennsylvania or reputable sellers online? Also, has anyone gone to the Hamburg Reptile Show and seen axolotls??? Are they good axolotls and are they decent price???
Thanks in advance and would really appreciate the help!!!!!
Casey

Eternie

Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to the wonderful world of Axolotls!!!

To start, axolotls need 10 gallon long per axolotl, because the axolotls like floor space, they don't like to swim up high. So with 20 gallon LONG you can have 2. Second you need to use spring water for your axies. They also need a fully cycled tank, they can not survive through the cycle new filters go through, so go to a pet store and get a low bubble filter (Axolotls are weak swimmers) and they will test your water as well, they should tell you whether it is cycled or not, it takes 6-8 weeks. I don't know how to do a fishless cycle, I've always done a fish in cycle, so buy a few HARDY fish that can survive the cycle,such as tetras. Once the cycle is complete you MUST remove the fish, they will get eaten, or will nibble on the axies gills. Axolotls need 58-65 degree water any higher or lower they will stress.
Substrate, use Sand, NEVER GRAVEL!!!!!!!!! They can swallow gravel, and most of the time die. You can use live plants, or soft fake plants, and most people use clay pots as hides.
My favourite axolotl type are light coloured axanthics,but they are expensive most of the time. Leusistics and wildtypes are usually around 15-35 dollars, and golds are very nice, generally around $40. I recommend most of the sellers here on caudata! :)
Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I would love to help!

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome to the wonderful world of Axolotls!!!

To start, axolotls need 10 gallon long per axolotl, because the axolotls like floor space, they don't like to swim up high. So with 20 gallon LONG you can have 2. Second you need to use spring water for your axies. They also need a fully cycled tank, they can not survive through the cycle new filters go through, so go to a pet store and get a low bubble filter (Axolotls are weak swimmers) and they will test your water as well, they should tell you whether it is cycled or not, it takes 6-8 weeks. I don't know how to do a fishless cycle, I've always done a fish in cycle, so buy a few HARDY fish that can survive the cycle,such as tetras. Once the cycle is complete you MUST remove the fish, they will get eaten, or will nibble on the axies gills. Axolotls need 58-65 degree water any higher or lower they will stress.
Substrate, use Sand, NEVER GRAVEL!!!!!!!!! They can swallow gravel, and most of the time die. You can use live plants, or soft fake plants, and most people use clay pots as hides.
My favourite axolotl type are light coloured axanthics,but they are expensive most of the time. Leusistics and wildtypes are usually around 15-35 dollars, and golds are very nice, generally around $40. I recommend most of the sellers here on caudata! :)
Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I would love to help!

So a 20 high is okay for one?! I'm so excited to get one is unreal! Lol!
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with fish so I'm used to the cycling and water changes. My plan was to put my spare filter on my 20 to get tank established for a week and also put in the songs filter. Then I'll take out the spare filter and put it back on my 55 and get my axolotls! I'm most likely gonna get just a leucistic but I planned on getting black sand... However, the sand I planned on getting had mixed reviews and I decided I don't want to risk it. So now I'm most likely gonna get play sand, unless there's a black sand out there that is cheap and safe! I just want my axolotls to stand out and with the play sand it might not.
I plan on getting a fan to ensure the water temp is safe. There so expensive ! $30 for a stupid fan but I want my axolotls to be happy and live! Thanks for the positive reply and thankful for your help!

Eternie

Reaction score
No problem! :)
As long as it is aquarium sand there shouldn't be a problem, and if you are to get play sand,make sure that you wash it out with spring or dechlorinated tap water thoroughly. Thats about it! :) I would love to hear about your axie once you get him/her! :) Though, a high I presume you mean up and down, those aren't the best for Axolotls, you want the long tanks,such as the ones used for bearded dragons or leopard geckos, and most aquariums.

Last edited:

AnimlEnthusiast

Reaction score
As far as the tank size goes, yes a 20g high/tall tank would be good for a single axolotl, since like they said it's a minimum of 10 gallons per axolotl. And, it's true, the reason why you can't put 2 axis into the tall tank is because the floor space of the 20g high is too comparative to the size of a 10 gallon's floor space. Floor space is vital. But, something to mention is that as far as water space goes, since the 20g high is twice the water of a 10g, it's actually healthier for the water parameters (more water = healthier for the water quality for the axolotl). So, even though the floor space is only big enough for just one, having the extra water amount makes it that much more stable of a healthy and stable environment, as compared to placing your axie in a 10 gallon tank. Good luck with your future axie. :)

I've been wanting black sand also. Does anyone have any info on an axolotl-safe black sand (or perhaps of another colored variety), aka one that is really smooth?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1