Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Safe to add axolotl?

Tank Size for One Axolotl?

• 10 Gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 Gallons

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • 30 Gallons

• Other

• Total voters

Tjebb

Reaction score
Hey there!
I have an axolotl who has been living in a tub for a short run, and I have had a 10 gallon cycling. Please note, he is still a juvenile, and if I notice he is growing to big for the tank, I will increase the size. I am humane.

Here are the details:
Tank: L 20" W 10" H 10" (This is the space full of water)
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.1ppm
PH: 6.5

Are these safe? If not, please let me know how to naturally adjust the measures. Thank you!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Hi! For a one adult I would suggest 20 gallons. 10 will be fine while it is a juvenile.
That cycle is almost done, let it keep running it's course and the axie tubbed. It will naturally cycle to 0 ammonia and nitrite and levels of nitrate over 5 (you want to aim for 20-40) so you don't add anything, other than bottled bacteria if you want. Once you have this it's axolotl safe!

Tjebb

Reaction score
Alright, thank you Hayley!

Yes, I am aware I will need to move him to a 20, yet he is still small, so that is going to be an objective!
Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!