The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 24th April 2015   #1
axoltlmad123

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axoltlmad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Fungus on some of my hatchlings and are dying

My baby axolotls are dying. They lose their gills and then get covered in fungus before dying (I separate before this stage ). What do I do? I have been told to put some methelyn blue in their water - don't know if I spelt that right or what it is. Is that the right thing to do? I have moved their water changes from every 2 days to every day. They are fed live daphnia so that is why I don't do it twice a day what do I do ? Please help !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_161115.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	42347   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_162303.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	42348  

axoltlmad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015   #2
rachel1

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Fungus on some of my hatchlings and are dying

A few drops of methylene blue in the water won't hurt them and it does have antifungal properties. You can find it in most school laboratories or some fish stores. I would also recommend lowering the temperature if possible to help give them a chance to fight off infection.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015   #3
axoltlmad123

Nationality:

Okay I'm just throwing this idea out there I've heard of people fridging them but how about putting them in my lucky reptile herp nursery. tomorrow I can get it out of the loft. It is a hibernation / incubation box with much less chance of freezing as it adapts it's temperature to the room. If it is in a really cold room instead of it being colder it will stay at the temp set same for a hot room. I use it for my tortoise hibernation. It goes down to quite low temp like 5 degrees c possibly lower. Would this be a good place to keep them constantly until they are bigger as I can monitor the temperature. It might be a day or two before I can put them in there though. I was thinking of keeping them in there and just adjusting the temperature to what I want it to be. If this would work do I just put the sick ones in or the lit of them. I will make sure I open the door twice daily at least to let fresh air in.

Old 25th April 2015   #4
axoltlmad123

Nationality:
Question Re: Fungus on some of my hatchlings and are dying

Forgot to ask. If I can put them in the hibernation box do I just turn it on lower the temp and put them straight in ? That way it would have to cool down from room temp so surely would cool the water slowly.

Old 25th April 2015   #5
axoltlmad123

Nationality:

And what should I lower the temperature to.