The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 19th June 2011   #1
priesty

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: priesty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cannibalism, acceptable or not?

Not the best of questions I know,

I'm having real trouble with hatching my BBS and I'm not sure what to how to deal with it.

My hatchlings started to hatch early Friday morning and since then my BBS have been on. I've followed the insructions but gor what ever reason they just don't seem to hatch. I'm considering getting some daphnia eggs as they seem like they might be easier to culture?

In the mean time my hatchlings are all together in a dark container with plants for them, would it be acceptable to leave them so they maybe go for each other, that way at least some might survive, if not there is a very real case they all might die.

Any ideas on how to help??

priesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Cannibalism, acceptable or not?

You don't culture daphnia from eggs; you culture them from female daphnia. They're parthenogenic, so the females just 'create' babies without having a male present, and then give live birth to more females (who are born pregnant).

Daphnia, in my opinion, were way easier than brine shrimp. I tried brine shrimp on a lark once, and found it to be a serious pain. The daphnia were so much simpler. I just dipped what I needed out of my culture tanks, and topped the culture tanks off with tank water. A bright light kept the algae going, and that's it.

They don't cannibalize each other until there's a marked difference in size. So just leaving them all together will probably lead to them all starving. They can't eat siblings of the same size.

Try phoning around to local fish shops. They often carry daphnia which you can start to culture yourself. I've also heard that blackworms are now available in the UK. These can be chopped up and used to feed hatchlings.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011   #3
priesty

Nationality:

Ah ok,

I'm gonna try and find some today, I'm not I'll order some online and hope they get here soon.

Will a pond have anything in that they could eat?

My mum has one and I'm going there tonight, if it would I could take some water from her pond??

Old 20th June 2011   #4
Mojo
(memojo1979)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: memojo1979 has given good advice and informationmemojo1979 has given good advice and information

A pond possibly would, but I'd be VERY weary of just nabbing some water out of a pond, as there's a good chance it may contain some carnivorous beasties who might munch on your baby axies Never tried it though, so maybe I'm just paranoid

memojo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You can use pond water in a pinch. Collect it in a clear container and remove anything that looks big or dangerous.

But also be aware that by using pond water, you can accidentally introduce disease into your captive population.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011   #6
priesty

Nationality:

Well it's already been over 72hrs and I'm getting desperate, either die from starvation or risk a small amour of pond water :/

All do a quick water change so hopefully minimise bay risk from the water.

Old 20th June 2011   #7
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

If the larvae only started hatching on Friday they'll still be consuming their yolk sacs and won't start feeding for a few days. If you buy live daphnia you'll get mainly adults which are too large for newly hatched larvae, but if you buy enough you can pick the smaller ones out and start culturing the rest. I wouldn't bother with the daphnia eggs either.

If you have easy access to your Mum's pond I would go armed with a brine shrimp net and a kitchen sieve. Hold the sieve on top of the net and pour pond water through the sieve into the net. Only the smallest bugs will get caught in the net and these can be fed to your larvae.

One key thing is not to raise too many larvae. They eat an awful lot so limit yourself to only a few.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011   #8
Anette

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Anette is an unknown quantity at this point

Do any of the shops over there sell black worms? I have had a lot of success with them, I just chop 'em up in little pieces and they still move even after they are chopped. You don't have to raise 'em from an egg. I just go to my local pet store and buy an ounce about once a week, depending on how many larvae you are raising.

Anette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011   #9
laalflaach

Nationality:
Rep: laalflaach has started on the right path

I had problems to start with my brine shrimp, think I panicked too much and now its second nature, if you check my pics there is a pic of my setup, and I got the info from a google search 'how to hatch brine shrimp', basically cut the top off a 2 litre pop bottle, 3/4 fill with warm water, 4 teaspoons of rock salt, dissolve, then a quarter teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs, stir and add a hose from an air pump, leave under a lamp for a day and voila, likkle tiny brine shrimp. I add a couple of tiny balls of brewers yeast to the mix, to feed them and they will last for a couple of days, I have enough to last a day at the moment, as I have 23 larvae, 6 weeks old. I am currently waiting for a tubifex/daphnia set up off ebay, which I need desperately as today I found 3 larvae with limbs missing, so sad, they are now 4 to a tub instead of 6, with the largest ones 3 to a tub. Think I have too many!!

laalflaach is offline   Reply With Quote