The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 1st March 2013   #1
Ashley
(tigmades)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tigmades has given good advice and informationtigmades has given good advice and informationtigmades has given good advice and information
Default Potential Owners Questionairre Suggestions?

Hi guys,

My hatchlings are probably 3-4 weeks away from being adopted (should be ~2.5" by then) and I have started to look for owners.

I wanted to make an adoption form to make sure that the potential owner knows their stuff.... and right now I'm feeling like a zombie haha, so I'm having trouble coming up with questions. Suggestions? This is what I have so far:

Size tank that they will be going in:
Will anything else living be in the tank? If so, list:
What do you plan on feeding them as they grow?:
What are you going to use for substrate as they grow?:
What water temperature do you plan on keeping them at and how?:

I will also provide an "adoption pamphlet" that will have additional information and hopefully common illnesses and their solutions.

Old 1st March 2013   #2
FX1C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Potential Owners Questionairre Suggestions?

This is a link to my listing on gumtree...

Golden Axolotls - Healthy like they should be! Sydney Area | Fish | Gumtree Australia Inner Sydney - Sydney City

I'd rather put the information out there & filter the idiots in the first round.

Personally if the person has kept aquariums & understands cycling they are already ahead of the game - getting them to understand the risks early on is vital!

I will not sell one to a child without the parent completely understanding the care regime & I insist that they check that everything is right - including supervising water testing & temperature regularly - most are really good & agree that's fair for the animal :)

Good luck :)

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013   #3
Ashley
(tigmades)

Nationality:
Rep: tigmades has given good advice and informationtigmades has given good advice and informationtigmades has given good advice and information
Default Re: Potential Owners Questionairre Suggestions?

Hehe, that's oddly very similar to what I put up on my ad, too - I'll add that bit about light and water testing.

The whole point of making them fill out the form is so I know for sure they know what they're doing. It's easy to read one thing and not keep it in the noggin - at least this way I am aware of what conditions they plan on keeping the axolotl, and that if they regurgitate the info back to me, they're less likely to forget vital information. I haven't worked more on my form, but the first person who has offered a serious interest is actually looking forward to filling it out! Those are the kind of people I want to receive the babies ^_^