Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Head sore: second newt first died

J

judy

Newt has sore on head can see bone... I'm worried, last week one died from a similar sore that didn't heal (it also lost a lot of weight, but I think the major problem was the sore) Any suggestions?

J

judy

Actually, they (Chinese firebelly's) were both rescued from a school which had a mixed species set-up when the now deceased became ill. They were both put in separate isolation tanks at my home. This one-male- was only recently reintroduced to a larger tank that was properly set-up for newts just before I noticed the sore.

There were snails in the previous tank... and although I thought I'd removed them all from the plants for the new tank, I just found one 1mm sized one (near where he slept last night)... Maybe the sore was caused by the snail? or maybe it's rot?

I tried dry quarentine for the other and it declined very rapidly (I may have been just too late though). I've put melafix in his water... and was planning to adjust treatment tomorrow depending on the progess of the sore. The sore is currently a pinhead sized hole and it appears to show bone. It's located about where the ears are on our lizard.

J

jennifer

In that case, you are fighting the effects of a mixed-species setup that probably wasn't designed for newts. Thanks for attempting to rescue them! I don't think a common snail would cause a sore on a newt. It seems to me more likely some form of rot.

ali

Reaction score
Because a wound that small will most likely heal. If you scrape your knee, should we have you shot?

J

judy

well I broke and used the ozonol too... no change either better or worse.

He is active (hunted 3 crickets this morning) and plump. He's avoiding the water and still has that tiny pox mark.

I'm alarmed because of the other one's demise.

Could it be a water quality thing? Anyone else had this before?

(Message edited by jdeboer on March 20, 2006)

andrew

Reaction score
I've often noticed these come from the newt getting hurt in some way on that spot. Alot like when you bit your inner lip, some people get canker sores. These can get infected and on an animal so small, this could be dangerous.
The few newts I had a long time back died because of this. I didnt know how to treat it.

J

judy

His head looks a LOT better. The sore appears to have healed. He still isn't entering the water very often, but I am more hopeful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1