Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Is amputation of the tail an option?? please help

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Hey,
I have posted a few times about my waterdog Frills but it never seems to get any answers. I’m hoping that since this section of the website is so much more active, someone will be able to help me. A few weeks ago, I rescued Frills, a tiger salamander larva, from a bait shop. He was a bit underfed and had many bite marks from the others. He also has gas bubble disorder. Luckily, he only seems to have bubbles in his tail, and they don’t seem to bother him at all. But a few days ago one of the bubbles on his tail popped and left a massive sore. He then had a fungal infection which some salt baths took care of, but now it seems like the sore has a bacterial infection. The edges of his tail are turning red, and there are still many bubbles in his tail. I was wondering what people would suggest in this case?? Is ampuation of the tail a viable option, or would it not grow back, or would removing it kill him? What are other good ways to treat this? Please help!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you maybe add some photo's so we can see?

From your description, this sounds like it may be something that is too difficult to treat at home,especially if tail amputation is being considered. Do not amputate at this point as I think there may be a risk of a further massive infection through the wound site. I'd advise taking it to a vet.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I will add photos as soon as I figure out how to do that. And I’m not sure about the vet. Last time I took Frills to the vet they said he wouldn’t live more than a few days and it’s been a few weeks

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
It seems that the redness is all gone but his tail doesn’t look like it’s in very good shape. I am no longer considering amputation as it no longer seems like it’s infected, but I am still nervous. Any suggestions on treating this? Does gas bubble disorder go away when they metamorphose?

Attachments

• FF7579F4-52B0-4499-AE35-5628A08C430E.jpg
    FF7579F4-52B0-4499-AE35-5628A08C430E.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 192

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

That does not seems too bad actually! It seems like a start of some kind of infection tho. Would not even consider amputation. And then the question comes (if you do and you should not amputate...), what stopping whatever is on that sore not infecting the part left on the tail after amputation, after all it will just be bigger surface for infection.

Before we go into treatment options, can I ask what are you aquarium parameters?
PH
Ammonia
Nitrate and Nitrites?

Having optimal water parameters and cycled tank/filter will be first step into this.
Second step will be using some kind of broad medication for infections, just to make sure it doesnt spread like: Esha 2000 or Seachem KanaPlex.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I was really worried about it was because for a few hours yesterday there were red veins coming from the blister and they have since cleared up. I was also worried because he had fungus growing off of his gill, but he ate the gill and seems to be fine. Another reason I was worried was because I thought he was not doing well because he is a lot paler than last week, but I’ve realized that he is just starting to metamorphose.
I’m no longer considering ampuation because he’s back to how he was before.
The only thing that bothers me is that the whole time I’ve had him, he regularly gulps from the surface. The water parameters are pH 7.0, no ammonia or nitrates or nitrites because I have done massive water changes daily. The water should be aerated enough because I use a huge sponge filter

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
UPDATE on health.

The tea bath cocktail certainly helped a lot. I came home and panicked because he was floating on his side near the surface and wasn’t moving much. I panicked and ran downstairs and saw they had several bags of unflavored black tea and I grabbed the container I had previously been using for salt baths and made tea with cold water and the tea was so dense I could barely see through it. I thought he was nearly dead because he wouldn’t move even when provoked and I didn’t know why because my tank is 62° constantly, there is no ammonia, no nitrates or nitrites or any word chemicals in the water and 30% water changes every day. So thinking he was dying and that I had nothing to lose, I added some salt and melafix to the 9 tea bags in the 2 gallon tank and carefully lowered him in and just left him there for 4-5 hours because I thought he was dead and I couldn’t bear to look. He now looks better than ever. Any signs of infection are long gone, his color is back to normal, his gills and tail are no longer curled, and he is eating and pooping again. Maybe there will be problems from keeping him in there so long, but right now it seems like he is doing better than ever. He has more energy than usual even and is actively exploring and playing with his Marino moss ball. But he continues to gulp at the surface. I’m almost wondering if that’s just a behavioral trait, because apparently the bait shop I got him from kept him in a small bin with 20+ others and no aeration in the refrigerator for months, and only fed them nightcrawlers every once in a while. I wonder if because he had to gulp all the time then, he still does it now out of habit?
Added a picture I took of him while he was enjoying his chemical bath
I will keep updating on his health over time, I’m pretty determined to get this little guy to his adult stage.
Does anyone have any comments questions or suggestions for me?

Attachments

• AD81C005-9BC3-4189-91B8-566B028D0520.jpeg
    AD81C005-9BC3-4189-91B8-566B028D0520.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
While the sore has healed almost entirely, my little buddy seems to be coming down with red leg. He had red legs and red streaks in his side today. But after lowering his tank temperature and using kanaplex, he seems to be doing better. The red in his sides and legs is gone, but his feet still are a little red. Also, his gills aren’t looking too well. They have bits of brown fuzz and blood in them. I’ll keep updating but it’s not looking well. Gonna see about getting him in the vet who is about 2 hours away this week

Attachments

• 15795E8E-20D0-48BF-A815-D4376EEB7945.jpg
    15795E8E-20D0-48BF-A815-D4376EEB7945.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 178
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1