Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Herbs dangerous in water? (AQUAPONICS)

OrangeM

Reaction score
Hopeful to start the process of aquaponics with my axie tank (make good use of all that bioload!) but i'm concerned that if any of the leaves of the herbs i'd like to grow may harm the axolotl if it made it into the water.
I'd like to grow;

• Spring onions (Scallons for those of you in the US) - not likely to end up in the tank at all so not as worried about these.
  • Basil - potential dying leaf drop?
  • Rosemary - small leaves could shed?
  • Possibly Mint (not as fussed about growing this one) - I'm guessing slightly minty water could be bad?
This is on the assumption that any dropped leaves would be in there for 24h max, if I went away on holiday i'd ask my axie sitter to water the plants while im gone rather than using the aquaponics.

I'd be using rockwool as my substrate for it so not worried about that side of things.

Also i'd be really interested in seeing anyone elses aquaponic setup!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I don't have any information to add but I'm very interested in knowing this info too! I've been wanting to set up an aquaponic system for my axolotls but have been wary for this reason. Hope you get some answers soon and please share them if you do!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1