Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Meal worms head on,what damage ?

C

chaney

just wondering what damage mealworm jaws can do ? my axalotl ate about 40 in 4 weeks ,stopped using them as i am aware now they are a some times feed,also do axies insides regenerate?(e.g stomach)?

kapo

Reaction score
if you left the head on they can nip inside the mouth and stomach, cos it discomfort/pain. They are not the best food to feed an axie. Earthworms are far better food. Not sure if their stomachs regenerate, and regeneration takes several weeks if young -months if older so wouldn't be good for your axie; and could possibly harm it. Petshops are notorious for feeding them mealworms with head on, and had a few cases where they've died which could be combination of mealworm diet and gravel blockage.

kapo

Reaction score
If a wound is infected you'll either get a combination of redness/some swelling and fungus developing. Fungus looks a bit like white/grey fuzz over the bitten area, sometimes you can see little whitish hairs if you look from different angles. Can you post a photo?

Regular Saltbaths work really well on fungus/infections.

C

chaney

how do i get de chloronated
water,and how long can they go without food
he hasnt eaten since last time i gave him a comet,about 4 weeks ago,tried a earth worm today but no go,he is really skinny ,only about 2cm wide at hind legs he used 2 be about 3.5cm. after his 1st binge.

kapo

Reaction score
What do you use for your tankwater waterchanges?

Dechlorinated water is tapwater with added water ager/conditioner/dechlorinator drops that remove chlorine and chloramines.

Do you still have him in the tank with the fish, and what is your tank temperature? If it's above 22-24C you need to cool it down. If the fish are still in with him, remove him from the tank or remove the fish.

How big is your tank?

He's probably not eating cos he's not well. Axies can go several weeks without eating usually during cooler months. One of ours hadn't eaten for 7 weeks during her illness, another 5 weeks.

C

chaney

can u force feed?e.g minced worm,fish through tubular syrynge

also i added a product called BACTONAX contains methelin blue andsome thing els for fungi

kapo

Reaction score
If you try to force feed your axolotl you can do more harm than good and will stress it.

When using something that contains meth blue you should do a lower dosage (about half amount stated) than specified on bottle, as there are a lot of fish medicines that are toxic to amphibians/axolotls.

If you intend keeping your axie in with fish and/or your tank temperature is 24C+ you will have ongoing problems with your axolotls health.

K

krystal

Actually, isn't it just a myth that mealworms will try to "eat through" somethings stomach? I have some geckos at home that I feed them to, and after a lot of reading, pretty much every reputable source says that is false.

C

chaney

fish are gone ,ate a worm hesitantly ,i think ,added apinch of salt,his mouth was open but now is normal,put fan over tank, to lower temp.need to get thermeter.to aid re gen

kapo

Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Krystal Britt on Saturday 17 March 2007 - 02:35 (#POST124779):</font>

just a myth that mealworms will try to "eat through" somethings stomach?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Krystal I didn't say it would eat through the stomach, but there have been cases where the jaws clamp down both inside the axie mouth and its stomach. I've seen it at the petshop when they fed mealworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!