The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry Man made and organic pollution have drastic effects on the viability of ecosystems throughout the world. Amphibians are on the front line of this issue because they are widely believed to be the most sensitive organisms effected.

Old 15th January 2010   #1
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Exclamation Methylene Blue and Eggs

As I harvest up another batch of eggs this season, I am curious about other member's experiences with meth blue as a fungal preventative with caudate eggs. I used it with decent success back in my fish rearing days, but I am a bit leery of using it with amphibians.

Any thoughts and or experiences with this practice would be greatly appreciated. While I generally do not have fungus issues with my egg layers, never before have I had eggs that were not in 1200+ size batches or of such a precious nature. (To date, I have not had any issues at all other than non-viable eggs "getting fuzzy", but I would like to be prepared just in case the issue may arise.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010   #2
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Methylene Blue and Eggs

I've never tried it on caudates (haven't had an issue to date) but I have used it with great success on my dart frog eggs.

Old 15th January 2010   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I remember asking about this when I first joined the forum and was told it wasn't a good idea.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...cted-eggs.html

read down, starting at post 7.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010   #4
monkeyfrogman28

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it it used in the dart frog hobby, so maybe its alright?

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010   #5
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I'm curious to how he determined it weakened larva?

Old 15th January 2010   #6
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

That I don't know, you'll have to ask Michael.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010   #7
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwtehunter View Post
I'm curious to how he determined it weakened larva?
A good guess. Anecdotal evidence. When I used Methylene blue prophylactically I seemed to get better yields without it. Tadpoles and larvae sometimes became stained and did not thrive.
Lately I've taken to using alder cones for fungus prevention in eggs. Some make a tea from the cones. Some just plop cones in with the eggs.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010   #8
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Michael, have you tried blackwater extract? I've been using it in my larvae's water recently and haven't had any fungal issues.

Old 15th January 2010   #9
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I havn't tried blackwater extract lately. I have a couple bags of alder cones I picked up at aquarium club and have been using them if things look a little funky. Their are a number of extracts and teas that should work well as fungusides. Lots of fish and frog people use almond leaves.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote