Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dreams of a huge axolotl tank

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Iv always wanted to make a giant fish tank well over 1000gallons and now I'm thinking a axolotl tank what's the biggest tank anyone has seen yes I know a it's going to be a lot of money time and attention but I think it's possible and would be amazing and awesome to sit and read next to

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Yes that gives me another idea what if you had connecting tanks say four of those with tubes going to a central so u have a tank in each room and the axies can visit whoever well almost wherever in the house you happen to be because if I go with one I would like it to be taller than that does anyone know the average depths there natural environment is and it's max depths and can a axolotl drown like a betta if no access to surface

xxianxx

Reaction score
can a axolotl drown like a betta if no access to surface

Good question, there is a possibility that this could happen but I have yet to see it mentioned in this forum. Axolotls can survive under ice but the cold temp reduces their activity and oxygen requirements so they are OK, if an axolotl with poor gills was under ice I don't know if it would be OK, it might as they can absorb oxygen through the skin. As the temp increases an axolotls activity rate increases and so does its oxygen requirements, you see them surface more often in warmer water ie 20c compared to 10c, they do this as they need to and very often they will take a fast gulp and shoot back down to the bottom. This is probably a remanent of wild behavor as its risky taking air from the surface when there are predators about ( with lots of surface cover they are more relaxed), the fact that they take this risk could potentially indicate they need to do so, necessity rather than a life style choice lol. You would also have to factor in water quality, poor water holds less oxygen than clean water, I don't know the effect of temp on water oxygen levels other than higher temps cause deoxygenation, I don't think at 20 c this will have much effect but I am sure somebody else will Google it. Sorry I can't give a definite answer. There is probably a study concerning this.

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Yes that gives me another idea what if you had connecting tanks say four of those with tubes going to a central so u have a tank in each room and the axies can visit whoever well almost wherever in the house you happen to be because if I go with one I would like it to be taller than that does anyone know the average depths there natural environment is and it's max depths and can a axolotl drown like a betta if no access to surface

Tubes would work, I doubt they'd get lost in a tube as long as you make sure they can see each end when they are in there.
It would cost a ton, would require ridiculous filtration, and truthfully the axolotls would probably just hang out in the tank you originally put them in lol. It would be very hard to keep cool. Water changes would take sooooo much water haha.

mercurydustin

Reaction score
I wouldn't go more than 48 inches of water mine are at 18 inches and they really seem to enjoy it from what I understand they came from a spring feed lake, it no longer exist as its been largely drained so finding the depth would take a bit of research. I have had thoughts of a tube system myself I don't doubt they would use them. in my tank I have a large pvc pipe and they love playing with it and I often find at least on hiding inside they are curious. so I would be willing to bet at least a few would take to using the tubes especially if there was different decorations plants and food in different areas. one thing I would make sure of is there being some plants near the surface of a deeper tank so they can rest near the top if they want, my axolotls like to hang out in the roots of some of the floating plants especially when they guppies are giving birth buggers just love the fry.

TallTree01

Reaction score
I dunno how much use they'd get from all that space tbh. They don't move much when they're content.. I guess of you had lots of them it might be worth it.

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Well as for water change and filtration it would be a self built project so I can plumb into the house use a bathroom for a mix tank it will be a massive thing but I have time and passion hopefully enough to see me through lol and yes lots of axolotls and limitations on tube length so I don't have to worry about them needing air an being "trapped probably just use plastic plants as much as I don't like them lot's of air stones and i think it might hopefully possibly be easier to maintain a lower temperature due to if water running through the house is that cold it should help keep the house cool and hear in Texas that's a heavy bill anyways thank you all for your helpful input :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1