The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 14th June 2014   #1
ifyouseeher

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ifyouseeher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cotton wool fungus

I know this is a post that occurs quite often in here, but Toaster has cotton wool fungus on one of his gills, it's only a small patch so we've caught it early and I've sent my husband out for tupperware boxes and sea salt so I can salt bath and fridge him, I guess I just want reassurance that my baby isn't going to die.

ifyouseeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014   #2
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Cotton wool fungus

There is no need to fridge your axie for salt baths, it's les stressful at room temp and much easier.
But no, you axie is unlikely to die from a tuft of cotton wool fungus. Insian almond leaves will help to - get some cheap ones from eBay and bung one in the tank.

To help prevent fungus over the summer you need to cool down your tank - use a fan, ice bottles, or a chiller if you have oodles of cash to spare!

Old 14th June 2014   #3
ifyouseeher

Nationality:

One of the biggest reasons I want to fridge him is because our nitrite levels still aren't down, if I can fridge him then I can get the tank cycled, get Toaster better and invest in something better than my temperamental desk fan to cool his tank. Today was the hottest his tank has gotten, at 22 degrees, but I think that in combination with the nitrites might be why we are where we are.

Old 14th June 2014   #4
ifyouseeher

Nationality:

Rather than salt bathing him, can I tea bath him instead? And will tetley/PG tips be alright? The only salt I have has unspecified "anti caking agents" in and I don't want to inadvertently make anything worse.

Old 15th June 2014   #5
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Tea baths are for sore skin rather than fungus, it tightens and soothes and won't cure fungus.
The anticaking agent is not recommended for salt baths, sea salt is best.
And yes, if you have water quality issues you can put your axies in a tub, but there is still no need for fridging - its a little stressful for them.