Question: What so I use to test my water?!

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
AxieDaxie
I've looked on Google and eBay but before I buy something to test my axies water and make sure it's safe I want it to be reliable!
I've never had to test ammonia nitrite or nitrate so I have no idea what to get :confused:

Look for this: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT I think they carry this in AU too.

There are also test strips that many fish stores sell, but they aren't as reliable and cost more in the long run.

Now, time to ask questions of you to make sure you don't need a lot more information than you've asked for ...

Are you familiar with "the cycle"?

I'm guessing if you are asking about test strips, you probably have a new tank that is not cycled yet. How long has your tank been set up, how big is it, what kind of filter, and are there axolotls (or other creatures) in it yet?

I kind of am, the tank was set up with plants for a few days then I put the filter on for a few more and we got the axies, I got excited and didn't consider everything when my friend said let's get one cause I've wanted one since I was young :/

Also didn't realise I could still see the comments :/ the tank has been set up for a few weeks and they're in the tank with some fish(I know they might eat them but isn't it just extra protein? That's what the lady at the shop said) I have an old filter of my nans but I need to get a new one :/ and I'm not 100% on the size of the tank I have nothing to measure it with :(

Let's start with the problem with the fish ...

Usually,an occasional fish snack won't hurt an axolotl. Exceptions:1. if the fish has parasites/illness, some of them can infect the axolotl. 2. Some fish are physically dangerous to eat, like many catfish. They have spines in their pectoral gills that lock into place when something tries to eat them. An axolotl can die from eating them.

A more common problem with fish is that the fish eat the axolotl, or at least, parts of it. Those pretty frilly gills are a tasty treat for the fish. Plecos will suck on the mucous coat of the axie, causing harm.

So, a strong recommendation is to rehome the fish or bring them back to the fish store.

Next, cycling the tank. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Right now, ammonia is building up in your tank.To save time on finding links, I'm copying someone else's post.

<snip>

The cycling process can take from 3-6 weeks. For your tank to be cycled, the beneficial bacteria needs to be present to break down the Ammonia and Nitrites into Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites are lethal to Axolotl and are produced from your Axolotls waste and decomposing food. Nitrates are a less toxic by product.

For more details on cycling read these articles:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
How to Cycle a Fish Tank

Cycling is one of the key factors of keeping your Axolotl healthy, as well as temperature.

Read these websites fully for more information on Axolotl care:
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

Take pictures of your tank if you want any opinions on your setup.

<snip>

Tell us everything about your tank. You can guess as to the size or use body-parts - how man hand-lengths long, wide, high, and do you have big hand or small ones? What brand/model filter? What else is in the tank tank (decorations, substrate, etc.)?

Are you using a water conditioner? What kind?

What other advice were you given by the store? I suggest verifying everything with us. We aren't trying to sell you something and do want to help you keep your axolotl healthy.

They're like little guppys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 150
I have my axies in their container (they've been fed and I've redone the water) and I've done a full water change, I've conditioned the water and now I have the filters on. I have sand substrate with a little "rock bed", about 9 plants(one on drift wood) and a little half dome hide that they love :rolleyes: i figured out today that I have approx. 37 litre tank but I don't know the water readings because I'm still waiting on my test kit :mad: I'm really concerned about leaving them in the container though because I don't think they like it and they seemed happy in the tank so I'm confused :confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 143
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back