Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scim of white stuff

P

pamela

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the white stuff is on the surface of my tank
Its lies like skin, like warm milk gets when it cools down
It dosen't look white until u remove it.

J

joan

Dust or protein buildup. Get an airstone or a filter that moves the surface of the water a little bit. That should take care of it.

P

pamela

Hi Joan, I am in the process of getting a good filter, as the one i have is no good. Can u suggest any good ones. I have at the moment an Elite Stingray 10.

J

joan

For axolotls, I like overhang filters. Penguin and marineland both make good biowheel filters. These can be baffled (search around, there are some innovative ways to baffle them), so the water movement doesn't cause stress.

C

cynthia

Pamela - 4 ft, I'm going to estimate is 50 or 55 gallons using common aquarium dimensions here in the US, and the 2 ft 20 gallons.

On the larger tank I would recommend an external canister filter like the Hagen Fluval 204 or the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 1 or 2 Canister Filter.

The smaller tank could use the same type of filters but also the hang on back type that Joan suggested would provide enough filtration at a lower price.

Both types of filters should be modified/adusted/baffled so the flow does not create strong current in the tank.

B

brian

Pamela - what volume is your tank? A 4 foot tank can be anywhere from 48 to 86 gallons, which makes a huge difference in the size of filter you will need. If you aren't sure, heres how you can calculate volume: LxWxH (in inches) divided by 231 will give you your total volume in gallons.

P

pamela

hi brian its about 60 gallons , but i dont think size is the problem, because my 2ft tank is the same , i do know my filters is the problem, i have had a elite stingray 1o, which was in the 2ft tank and is rubbish, and to much flow. im thinking of an underwater filter.
but what is the white stuff.

P

pamela

Hi Guys, i may not be explaining this well. I put the filters on last night, and this morning the water is so clear, but its like a sheet over the top. Underneath that scim of white, the water is so clear, but when my wee amoxy or big frank comes up for their breath its like breaking through a skin of custard or milk. I take it out every day, its easy to remove but a pain, and i dont want it to hurt my babies.

N

nathan

I saw a post that said that this could be caused by cooking smoke or a smoker but I don’t think this is the same film but it could be.

J

joan

Its probably just dust and such settling on top of the water. This, in combination with protein buildup from under the water, can cause a pretty thick film. Like I said, cause some movement at the water surface and see if that takes care of it. I'll almost guarantee it will.

Water exhibits high surface tension, meaning it's hard to break apart water molecules at the surface (think of how water strider bugs can skim across the surface). They provide a level, almost solid area, where dust particles can easily settle. If the surface is big enough, you get lots of dust. Especially if you have a fan blowing, or the tank in front of an air conditioner, etc. More air = more dust.

C

cynthia

Is there any type of decoration in the tank that could be doing this? Sea shells or real rock a figurine?

D

dev

hmm i would go with the diffusion of oxygen theory and get an airstone/ rather a big bubble wand for that big tank.

C

cynthia

Yes, adding an air stone to increase surface agitation should help clear the top of the tank, but if the layer is thick like she is describing it sounds like maybe there could be something that could be changed to help prevent it as well.

I have never had this problem before so I searched for post by people who had and found these:

The development of a bacterial surface film is not uncommon
in organically rich, warm containers of water, especially
ones where the water at and near the surface is relatively
stagnant.

A surface skimmer is one way to remove it. Eheim makes one
that you can connect to the intake on a canister filter.
But it clogs easily and you might have to clear once or
more often times per day.

An overflow for a wet/dry/dump set up will accomlish the
same thing. these can be a pita if hooked up to a canister
filter instead of a sump -- all the changes in water level
have to be accomodated inthe relatively small overflow box
instead of a sump, which would be considerably larger.

Surface agitation will tend to break it up -- but you have
to balance the gain against the potential loss of CO2.

It has been said that mollies will eat the film.

Short of surface agitation, lots of water current near the
surface without actually "breaking" the surface, lots of
plants, and not too much fish food/waste -- so that the
water is very clean and clear -- will tend to avoid or
minimize the amount of film.
from http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/0402/msg00003.html

and this one: This might happen due to dead bacteria.... (check on your bio - filter)
You can use a news paper let it float for a few minutes on the surface,
should do the trick. from http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/0402/msg00002.html

and last but not least:
No I don't have CO2 system hooked up. But from what I've read on some other websites and forums is that it could be caused by excessive fat in fish's diet. Everybody is telling me to improve the water agitation or add a protein skimmer. Skimmers are big and ugly so instead, I added second filter. Right now there is no "dead" spots on my water's surface. I will let you know if it helped.
from http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:R-f-ewpXM_4J:64.191.28.50/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D8419+%22white+film+on+water+%22+aquarium&hl=en

In a second post on that page he does say that adding the second filter did clear up his tank in 2 days.

P

pamela

hi guys, thanks for all your help on this matter,
I think i have solved it, i put my filters nearer to the top of the water to give more flow, and the next morning , totally spottless.
So i think the little more flow on top has done the trick.
I tend only to put my filters on overnight, as my axies hate them. So far clear water on the top.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1