Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl larvae food problems!

Ramennewtlsss

Reaction score
How long can axolotl larvae go without food??

I'm raising about 250 baby axolotls at 2 and 1/2 inches long. I just ran out of brine shrimp! the only other food sources i have for them is some microworms and some ostracodas (same family as daphnia, the babies eat them without problems) but i dont have that many ostracodas.
Food is covered today with the last of my brine shrimp, but the ones i ordered were supposed to arrive today and tomorrow is sunday so if im lucky they should arrive in 2 days on monday!

i know that colder water temperatures slow axolotls' metabolism... would it save time to move them to a colder room so that they're not as hungry?

and since theyre in the cannibalistic stage should i separate them even more because they'll be hungrier?

thanks for any help i really appreciate it! this is my first time raising a clutch so im just freaking out probably more than i should be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!