Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White and fluffy

D

daniel

ok one of my axis i think had a little bit of he's gill eaten. Now a big fat white cotton like thing is on that gill and only that gill.
Not sure what to do, and reading i heard of salt baths but just want to make sure.
Ta Daniel

A

anne-marie

I've never had fungus in my tank but if I were you, I would indeed do the salt baths. Twice a day for 10 mins, 2 teaspoons to 2 litres of water, fully dissolved. Good luck.

N

nathan

when i my first axies they both got fungus one died but the other survived and i still have her today all i did was get some anti fungus tablets and put her in a bucket with the tablets at the time i didn't know about salt baths. my friend has done it to his and it was successful. i hope all goes well

C

cynthia

I would also suggest salt baths.

Some fish medications contain ingredients
that are toxic to axolotls, so you must be very careful when selecting them. See the bottom of this page for more info:
http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

Salt baths are safe and usually effective on fungus.

D

daniel

hey thanks for the advice.
Today he was a looked a lot better and also if anybody does have a fungas problem and is to affraid to use salt baths, try prima fix. It doesnt harm the axi and can help if salt baths do not work but again make sure you ask ur vet cause it would be best.
Ta guys Daniel

C

cynthia

Daniel - It was mentioned in this forum that pima fix can cause liver damage in axolotls. So you may want to reconsider using it or limit its use.

From a post of Leah's:
Pimafix, like Melafix, works as an irritant to the mucous membranes. By causing some irritation, it makes the body produce more of the mucous coating which is the skin's natural protection against disease. Both products do work, in my experience, but are liver-toxic in the long run. Like any other med, be careful not to overdose or it can do more harm than good- don't think that because Pimafix and Melafix are "all natural" they're safe for prolonged use- they aren't.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/28800.html#POST45484

D

daniel

Thanks for that info.
I only use once a week if sick and once every 5 months when not and that is just small, but thanks for the info and has been great help. I think salt baths are easier anyway from now on. Ta Dan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1