Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White pieces in gills

L

lauren

Hi everyone. My axie seems to have white solid pieces in its gill filaments. They dont look like fungus, they aren't "hairy" or fuzzy. They look like rock or bone, are tiny, and are attached right to the gill stalk. Maybe they are dead filaments?

K

kim

Hi lauren,

Do you have a picture of it?.. that would help us out alot, as it could really be anything.

L

lauren

I'll try to get a picture of it. But the ones from last night are gone! There's just one new piece at the end of a different gill stalk.

C

charlie

Without seeing pics Lauren, i can't tell you it's nothing to worry about

but

Muff often accessorises with bits of stuff from his tank - he has been known to lurk around for a day with a bit of gravel on his head, or some plant matter caught in his gill fronds

L

lauren

Well, it's all gone now, so I guess it was something like that, Charlie. He never seemed to notice anyway.

A

amy

sounds like anchor worm to me. keep a really good eye on them and make sure they dont get nay more of these. if they do, treat them with octozin at half the stated dose. im going through exactly the same right now. theyre a pain in the <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> to get rid of, i tell thee!

K

katherine

My axie has one white puffy bit on the top of one of her gill stalks. 2 weeks ago she had a bad fungal infection in her gills but I treated her with salt baths and this cleared it up. She is now back to normal but has one lingering white patch. I have tried another couple of salt baths but it has not gone away. It does not seem to bother her and if it is fungus it is not spreading. Should I give her more salt baths until it clears up? I also have Malachite Green but am loath to use this unless I have too.
If the white stuff was fungus I would have thought it would be affecting her or spreading.
Is this something to worry about?

A

amy

is there anything kind of sticking out? like a really thin thread? my axies get the white fluff around where their anchor worms are and it doesnt spread at all.

K

katherine

It is like a white puffy ball of white stuff on the top of one of her gills. Can you see the anchor worms (do they wiggle around?). It just seems to be part of her gill, maybe just the stalk or feathers growing?

C

cynthia

Katherine do a google search for "anchor worm" and check out some photos to identify for sure. Anchor worms usually cause an infection where they attach themselves to the host.

A

amy

anchor worms dont move. they just kinda stick there and look like bone and be a pain in the jacksie. good luck with them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1