Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advantages/disadvantages of taking 2 yr old T marms aquatic

merk199

Reaction score
I have a group of five T marms which just celebrated their 2nd birthday. They are getting biggie, big boned. The sexes are easily told apart. Is there any reason not to start trying to re-intro them to water? I tried last year and failed miserably so I took them back to full time terrestrial. Personally I think I would prefer aquatic because its easier to feed for me. But they are doing so well on land that maybe I shouldn't try to upset that. If I keep them terrestrial it is not like I would be harming the health of them? My guess is if we could get them aquatic this year maybe next year they will breed? If they go aquatic I want them to be 100% aquatic not 50/50.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I had hoped to keep mine terrestrial, but having read many posts I thought I'd best give them the option, especially as their handsome sibling had taken to the water. I initially added a shallow bowl, then a deeper one . One of the males particularly was spending most of his time in the bowl.
In the end I put them into a new aquarium with a large bowl for land and an inch or two of water. Two then started spending more time in the water, so I raised it over a number of weeks. As the season changed and became the cooler, the initial male started to crest up...and then my female decided that water was cool and joined them.
Now they are fully aquatic, though the female pops out to escape the rampant male. I am actually enjoying them being aquatic. They still have their original land area which they can use and all will come up there for feeding. However I am now offering them worms in the water. I am curious to see what they choose to do when their breeding season comes to an end.
From not really wanting an aquatic species, I am finding that I am now being tempted by another species....mentioning no names :p

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Offcourse they are 50/50 newts. IF you wanted 100% ones you should have thought better since the beginning and got T. dobrogicus instead.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Captive experience says otherwise, Jorge. There are people who succesfully keep T.marmoratus aquatic year round. Wether this is wise or not, is a subject for discussion, but possible, it is. Not all individuals have a marked terrestrial phase in captivity. Just like any other Triturus they can undergo such changes easily, but it does not mean they will if conditions are suitable. They are more inclined to an amphibious life than T.dobrogicus that´s for sure, but they are not strictly 50/50.

I would always err on the side of safety and give them the choice, like Julia is currently doing. Forcing them to remain aquatic after the breeding season is a risk since not all individuals can tolerate it. They could drown, but if you give them the choice, they´ll come and go as they please (and it´s likely they´ll make the odd incursion into water even if they undergo a terrestrial phase).

merk199

Reaction score
Azhael I am leaning towards a setup like Bella. I guess the question for me is if I keep them terrestrial year round will it affect anything other than breeding, and the inability to see the beautiful colors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1