Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help ID Ambystoma species (larvae and metamorphosed pictures)

James87

Reaction score
Hello. I thought this larvae collected (on summer solstice) was A. tigrinum; however now that it has morphed (just a couple days ago), I am having my doubts.
It is around 4.5" long. Still appears to have a mottled yellow/black tail, dark gray/olive back, and grayish blue sides. Perhaps a hybrid of some sort? It was collected from Northwest Indiana. I am sorry for being a total n00b. Attached are low quality cell-phone photos which I hope can help. Thanks in advance for any help or information!

Attachments

• Photo_99FCCBF8-90BE-8B92-5A7B-2DBA2D905BE9.jpg
    Photo_99FCCBF8-90BE-8B92-5A7B-2DBA2D905BE9.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 641
  • WP_000481.jpg
    WP_000481.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 564
  • WP_000550.jpg
    WP_000550.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 542
  • WP_000548.jpg
    WP_000548.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 736

James87

Reaction score
Thank you.. I thought that perhaps it was a jefferson or blue-spotted hybrid but was unsure because if its large-ish size for just morphing. Will the coloration develop more in the next couple of weeks?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It will. Some Jeffersons aren't that heavily mottled, so it might not change much.

Talen

Reaction score
IMO it looks like you have a blue spotted salamander, though it is hard to tell...I had some larvae I caught a few years back that I had a hard time identifying, thought they were Jefferson's when they started to morph and looked exactly like your photos, but in a couple of weeks darkened and the blue spots came out...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!