Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Smoky Mountain NP Salamanders March/April

RileyWalsh

Reaction score
Hi there! I will be making a trip down to the Smoky Mountains national park for a day or two for the easter long weekend and was wondering if it is a good time to find a nice variety of salamanders. Is it still too cold for them at this time?:confused: Not sure of there seasonal status down there. I know that there may still be some snow because of the higher elevations... Is it worth going at this time if my main goal is salamanders? (Particularly Jordan's Salamander)

Thanks!

Riley:happy:

Jefferson

Reaction score
Hello! The Smokies are always a treat scenery-wise no matter the time of year, especially if this is your first time heading down to GSMNP. As far as salamanders, everything at low elevations, especially aquatic stuff, should be out, and even streams and seeps higher up in the park will probably be productive next weekend, but I'd highly doubt that the Red-cheeks, Pigmies, and Gray-cheeks are out yet. Here in Virginia, the mountaintops still have snow, and I know from experience that even mid-April can be shaky for the larger Plethodon in southern Virginia and Western NC even when everything else (including smaller Plethodon like cinereus, dorsalis, richmondi, hubrichti) is already out. I wish you luck if and when you get down to our country's most beautiful countryside and hope you have a great time down South!
Jefferson

FrogEyes

Reaction score
FYI, Plethodon jordani is now found in some places outside the park. It appears that introgression of mtDNA from females of a lowland Plethodon has allowed some populations to develop a tolerance of lower altitude climates and thus move downhill. I have an idea of where these populations might be, but am not sure. Either way, you might find some in or out [barely] of the park because they're not fully restricted to higher elevations.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I agree with these observations. It is too early to find many larger Plethodon, particularly the higher elevation species like jordani and yonahlossee. You can have good luck with the more aquatic Desmognathus, Pseudotriton, Eurycea, Gyrinophilus, etc. though.

Hello! The Smokies are always a treat scenery-wise no matter the time of year, especially if this is your first time heading down to GSMNP. As far as salamanders, everything at low elevations, especially aquatic stuff, should be out, and even streams and seeps higher up in the park will probably be productive next weekend, but I'd highly doubt that the Red-cheeks, Pigmies, and Gray-cheeks are out yet. Here in Virginia, the mountaintops still have snow, and I know from experience that even mid-April can be shaky for the larger Plethodon in southern Virginia and Western NC even when everything else (including smaller Plethodon like cinereus, dorsalis, richmondi, hubrichti) is already out. I wish you luck if and when you get down to our country's most beautiful countryside and hope you have a great time down South!
Jefferson

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1