Floating axolotl

ErinT

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys! I've had my two axolotls rigby and stevey for around 6 years now and the past few months rigby has really been struggling with his floating. Every now and then he is back on the floor which makes me really happy but most of the time he is floating. He is still eating (has a great appetite actually) and the water nitrate levels are fine as I check them regularly and the tank is due a water change this weekend. The other axolotl is completley fine and has never had any issues with floating. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? He is starting to get stressed out/frustrated about it as i can tell he really just wants to be on the floor. I have fridge him previously as a attempt to try and fix the problem and he seemed happier however he still floats. Thanks guys any ideas would be helpful! :)
Erin :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back