Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Is he fat, or am I crazy?

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
So, I put my little guy (almost 2 years old) on a diet of 2 nightcrawlers/week a few months ago because I thought he was getting a bit chunky. I can tell he's slimmed down, but a friend of mine, and one of the guys at my local aquarium store, said that they thought he was really fat.

Basically: Should I only feed him once/week now, or is he a healthy size?

Attachments

• 20190318_202112.jpg
    20190318_202112.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190313_225807.jpg
    20190313_225807.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 146

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Try and get a shot of it over head. It looks fine to me. You want the belly to be as wide as the head. I feed my adults every day but they're all different so feed according to body condition. After seeing an overhead pic I'll let you know what I think :)

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
This is the best picture I could get. He was not in the mood to pose today. Is this sufficient enough? If not, I could try to grab and position him, but I don't want to stress him too much.

Thank you so much for helping me, by the way!

Attachments

• 20190319_213319.jpg
    20190319_213319.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 143

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Yep looks fine. Mine only get that chunky when I feed them every day haha

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
Thank you both! He's my little baby and I want to do everything right for him, so I was really worried!

ValerieH

Reaction score
He looks like a she to me, and females normally are a bit rounder than males.

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
This is from a few months ago, but it's the best picture I have. I'm pretty sure he's a boy, but if you guys think otherwise, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 137

ValerieH

Reaction score
I would expect a bigger bulge on a 2 year old male, so I think yours is female.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1