My brine shrimp didnt hatch

Murray

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have about 150 three day old axies and todays batch of brine shrimp hasnt hatched. I'm hoping it will by this evening. They should hatch but if they dont is there anything I can give them until the next batch hatches. I have rung around a few of my local pet shops and none have any live shrimp and one suggested I could use cooked egg yolk. I'm not sure about this, if they will take food that isnt alive would frozen bloodworm be better. The other question I have is how long will the young survive without a feed. I have up until now been feeding every twelve hours. Also reading through the forum a lot of you suggest that a smaller number would be easier to raise. This is my first attempt at raising young and dont really want to loose any (who does). Any advice gratefully accepted.

hi,
have you tried daphnia/waterflea.
these are ideal as they can be left in the tank with the larvae as they live fresh water.

You can try very finely chopped blackworms. You'd have to order them now and get them delivered tomorrow though.

Disaster averted. I managed to find a shop that gave me a bag of Daphnia and my shrimp finally hatched so all babies were fed. I kept some of the Daphnia back and put them in a concrete tub of water I have in the yard so hopefully I'll have my own supply in a couple of weeks. I was a bit conservative on my count of babies. After taking a photo of the tank and counting from the photo I actually have 375!!!!!:eek:

I fished a worm out of the compost bin with the intention of feeding it to my hoard..sliced..but chickened out as I had a feeling chopping it at a certain end would have the pieces moving. .....which is fine but I didn't want to needlessly 'waste' a worm by starting at the wrong end. So if any one should have any handy hints and tips I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

remember if you attemp to breed daphnia dont over fish it as the colony will crash and you end up with nothing.
on a bad note i hope you have plenty of time, space and money as that many babies need plenty of both.
daily water changes alone will take a vast amount of time and the money for food !!!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back